Dayton Garage Heater

Old 12-16-08, 03:52 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dayton Garage Heater

I am lookng at purchasing a Dayton G73 heater (30A, 240V) for my garage. The heater comes with a 30A power cord with a Nema 6-30P. However I have a 50A circuit with a Nema 6-50R. Is it ok to plug the heater into this circuit and if so can tell me where to buy an adapter or a short 6-50P power cord.

Thanks for the help.

Old 12-16-08, 05:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Does the heater actually draw 30a under full load? What size breaker is recommended in the manual? If the instructions call for a 30a breaker then change the breaker to 30a and change the receptacle.

Old 12-17-08, 12:00 AM
F
What is the wattage of the heater is ?

It may affect the setup

If the instruction called for 30 amp circuit then you have to use the correct receptale and breaker in there.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-17-08, 12:44 PM
T
The heater pulls about 20A and requires a 30A circuit breaker. It also requires "hard-wiring"? I am not sure what that means but I assume it means the receptacle is ok as long as the heater is on a dedicated circuit?

Old 12-17-08, 12:49 PM
T
Here is a link to the Owner's Manual of the unit:

http://www.heater-home.com/manuals/G73.pdf

Old 12-17-08, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Well, hardwire means it should be permanently connected in the appropriate type of junction box. Whether you can use a plug, I dunno. You prob can, but the UL listing and testing assumes hardwire.

Since its a garage heater, I presume it will be permanently mounted. Just pull the outlet, use a coverplate and hardwire it. Unless you want to use the outlet for other things in the off season? I'd let the electrical Pro's answer that question.

You may want to provide how far away from the outlet the heater will be mounted.

Old 12-17-08, 01:40 PM
In your first post you wrote:
The heater comes with a 30A power cord with a Nema 6-30P.
If that is the case then you just need to install a 30 amp breaker and the matching receptacle. If the instructions you referenced though are correct I doubt a cord set can be used. It shows a ceiling mounted heater six feet minimum from the floor. and suggest using #10 MC cable rated for 60 degrees C for the whip. If that is how you install it then, unless the breaker box is in sight I would suggest you also install an un-fused AC cut off.

Old 12-17-08, 03:32 PM
J
There's an inconsistency in the information you provided. The unit comes with a plug, but requires hard-wiring. Those two things are contradictory.

Old 12-17-08, 04:10 PM
T
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
There's an inconsistency in the information you provided. The unit comes with a plug, but requires hard-wiring. Those two things are contradictory.
It sounded contradictory to me also. The cord was provided by the seller (not the manufacturer of the heater) at an extra cost and may be too short anyways. The cable distance from the heater to the receptacle is about ten feet. So, I am thinking of just pulling the receptacle off and wiring it to this box. Would the 50A circuit breaker still need to be replaced?

Old 12-17-08, 04:25 PM
You still need to change the 30a breaker. You are planing to hang it from the ceiling aren't you?

My suggestion would be to make or buy two 6 foot MC whips. The first would come from your existing box and go to the in-fused cutoff switch. The second from the switch to the heater.

Note: switch is not needed if you can see the breaker box from the heater.

Old 12-19-08, 10:10 PM
T
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
You still need to change the 30a breaker. You are planing to hang it from the ceiling aren't you?

My suggestion would be to make or buy two 6 foot MC whips. The first would come from your existing box and go to the in-fused cutoff switch. The second from the switch to the heater.

Note: switch is not needed if you can see the breaker box from the heater.
This makes sense to me. I may not install the switch sense the breaker is right next to the heater. Thanks for all the suggestions and input from everyone.Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: