How do I wire this connection?

Old 12-20-08, 12:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I wire this connection?

Hi, I'm not sure how to wire our switchbox after I installed a ceiling fan. There was an existing switch which controlled an outlet on the other side of the room. There were 2 wires coming into the switchbox, a 14/2 and a 14/3. The whites were wired together, the grounds were wired together then to the green screw, the red was connected to the top brass screw, one black wire was connected to the bottom brass screw while the other black wire was pushed in from the back.

That's how it was wired from the builder.

I've just added a ceiling fan and ran 14 3 from the fan box to the switch but I'm not sure how to make the connections at the switchbox . I purchased two additional switches, 1 switch will control the fan, 1 switch will control the light, the 3rd switch will still control the outlet on the other side of the room.

I believe the whites should be wired together. The grounds wired together and then to each screw. The red from the ceiling fan to the top (does it matter?) brass screw on one of the switches, the black to the other switch. Other than that, I'm lost.

Any help would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-08, 02:04 PM
T
How big is the switch box? Single gang (big enough for one switch)? Double gang (big enough for two switches)? I ask because you may be over the maximum conductor fill allowed in boxes.

Old 12-20-08, 02:07 PM
J
It's a 3 gang box which holds 3 switches

Old 12-20-08, 02:34 PM
T
Originally Posted by JoshW View Post
It's a 3 gang box which holds 3 switches
Cool! Is only 1/2 of the receptalce controlled by the switch?

The 14/2 cable should be the power feed to the box. Verify that by taking a voltage reading.

Splice 3 black wires for the switches and the black wire in the existing 14/3 cable to the power feed. Connect one of those 3 wires to each switch.

Connect the existing 14/3 red wire for the switched receptacle to a switch and the red and black for the fan light to separate switches.

You'll have to splice 3 bare or green pigtails to the green or bare wires with all of the cables. Connect one green or bare wire to each switch for grounding purposes.

All white wires spliced together and all green or bare wires spliced together.

Old 12-20-08, 03:30 PM
J
That's correct, only 1/2 of the receptacle is controlled by the switch.

ok - I had to draw this out on paper to ensure I understand what's being done.

What does the 14/2 black wire connect to?

Old 12-20-08, 04:49 PM
T
The 14/2 black wire should be power to the switch box. Splice it to the black wire that is currently connected to the receptacle switch and the 3 black wire pigtails that will connect to the 3 switches.

I'm assuming (yikes!) the red wire in the original 14/3 is the switch leg to the receptacle.

Old 12-21-08, 01:38 AM
F
Thinman.,

You did hit on the nail the red conductor normally is switched hot conductor if you run into 14-3 cable and the OP can able verifed that the red conductor is at the receptale.

Normally it will have either half switched or a single dupex switched depending on the format.

A dead giveaway due one of the electrician done this use the 14-2 as power feed you can tell by two black conductors at the switch location a correct way to fix this is make a pigtail for each one then it will work properly.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-21-08, 08:08 AM
J
I confirmed the 14/2 is the power source to the switch box.

I also took a look at the outlet. There are two 14/2 coming into it. Both blacks were connected to the outlet (no red).

I'm assuming this changes the wiring diagram?

Old 12-21-08, 11:27 AM
J
The outlet is immaterial. There was no need to even look at it, and no need to change anything there.

One of the two black wires in the switch box is the power feed. Since the two black wires are connected together (inside the switch), it doesn't even matter which one of the black wires is incoming feed and which is outgoing.

Take both black wires off the switch. Use a wire nut to connect those two black wires together, and to three black pigtails. One pigtail connects to each of your three switches.

All three white wires in the box connect to each other with a wire nut.

All three grounding wires connect to each other, with three grounding pigtails (one to each switch).

The red wire connected to the existing switch can be left as is.

The black and red wires from your new 14/3 connect to the remaining screws on the two switches (one on each).

This is all dirt simple. Don't overthink it.

Old 12-22-08, 08:45 PM
J
Smile

Ha! It's simple if you've done it before! This is a great site, thanks for all the info, but I have another question on the simple wiring.

Is it possible to daisy chain the hot and/or ground from switch to switch? I'm having difficulty getting a good connecting with 5 wires together using a red wire nut. Are there any issues with this?

Old 12-22-08, 09:14 PM
J
Is it possible to daisy chain the hot and/or ground from switch to switch?
Yes, certainly. Remember, only one wire under one screw.

I'm having difficulty getting a good connecting with 5 wires together using a red wire nut. Are there any issues with this?
Bad connections are always an issue. If the wire nut is rated for 5 wires of whatever size you have, then it should work fine if properly installed. I cannot comment further because I don't know exactly what you did, nor do I know what difficulty you are having.

Old 12-22-08, 09:54 PM
F
Originally Posted by JoshW View Post
I'm having difficulty getting a good connecting with 5 wires together using a red wire nut. Are there any issues with this?

I am pretty much the same page as John Nelson's comment

What size conductor { wire } you have there ? 5 - 12's should fit in there and that is the max size.

With that many I useally pretwist with lineman's pliar then put the red wirenut { if you did reused it just toss it out and get new one } otherwise the next size larger a grey one will work just fine.

Merci,Marc