Switch to Receptical

Old 12-31-08, 09:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch to Receptical

I have a switch in a bookcase which powers a fan I do not use. I would like to convert it into a outlet to power my home entertainment center. thanks for the advice in advance. mv

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-08, 09:35 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the switch box has a neutral in it, then you can do it.
To determine this, it should have blacks on the switch and the neutrals are wire nutted in the box. If it has a white and black on the switch, then there's probably no neutral.

Old 12-31-08, 09:42 AM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have several questions which need answers:

1) Is there both a hot a neutral wire running to to the box (at least for wires enter and leave the box the box), or is this just a "switch loop" (only two wires enter and leave the box). If it's a switch loop you do not have the wiring to install an outlet in the box.

2) Assuming that you have the correct wiring to support an outlet, is it on a circuit which is convenient and would supply sufficient power for your needs?

For example, if this is a lighting circuit and you overload the circuit breaker with components in your entertainment center and trip the breaker, you'll be left in the dark - for this reason modern wiring practice is to separate outlet and lighting circuits.

Secondly assuming this is an outlet circuit, does it supply sufficient power for your needs? For example if this is a 15 amp outlet circuit and you want a plug-in your entertainment center and also a power treadmill while you watch TV, you may end up a blowing fuse or tripping a circuit breaker.