Covering breaker panel in basement renovation

Old 01-02-09, 11:35 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Covering breaker panel in basement renovation

I am finishing the basement in a 2 year old house. My 200A panel is mounted on plywood on top of poured concrete walls. I am framing out the walls with 1/5 EPS and then 2x4 walls. I would like to be able to hide the breaker panel and still provide easy access. From what I have read, the only requirements by code are 3' of area for access to be panel, but that seems vague and I'm not sure how to interpret it.

I see 2 options and would like some feedback on how this is typically done.

A) Frame the wall so that when finished with drywall, the panel cover is flush with the wall. This leaves the panel exposed and kind of ugly in my media room.
B) Frame in a small closet (not to be used for storage but would look like one) enclosing the panel. Is this allowed? If so, is there a minimum wide door I need and depth for the closet?

Old 01-02-09, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Not a Pro, but your closet would need to be the size of an average refrigerator in front of the panel. I thought it was 30", but it may be 36".

Don't take that for gospel, just for planning.

EDIT Here's a question for when the Pro's answer...can you hang or hinge a picture in front of the panel?

Old 01-02-09, 12:50 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ive seen alot of people just build an attractive door that matches the wall around the panel. Makes it look like you have a cabinet there.
Just keep in mind you'll need to be able to remove the cover.
Some people just hang a picture over to conceal it.

Old 01-02-09, 12:54 PM
M
Does anyone have pictures of a finished wall like this? I'm having trouble visualizing how to do this.

Old 01-02-09, 03:06 PM
V
What I always do in that situation is build the wall out to the edge of the back-box (the metal pan that the panel is inside of). To do this you would simply frame the wall out 5/8" less than the back-box (or 1/2", whatever the thickness of the drywall you are using). When you add the drywall the back-box will be flush with the drywall, then you simply put the cover on which gives it a clean, flush look.

Of course this is a little too commercial for a house so you hang some type of artwork in front of it, completely hiding it yet giving it easy and quick access.

This way is a lot easier and cleaner than building a closet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: