Electrical Dryer Question

Old 01-02-09, 07:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Electrical Dryer Question

Hello,

I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum or not, if not, please excuse.

My girlfriend recently got a dryer from a friend. I went to plug the dryer in and discovered that the plug for the new dryer has 4 prongs while the outlet in her house has only 3.

My questions are:
1. Can I simply remove the plug from the old dryer and put it on the new dryer?
2. Would it be better to put in a new outlet on her house?

Her house was built in 1942 so who knows what I might encounter if I get into the wiring.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 07:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 59 Posts
Due to the age of the house, most likely you would need to change the cord to a 3 wire and install a jumper between the neutral and frame of the dryer.

You could also run a new 4 wire circuit for the dryer and keep the cord as is.

Old 01-02-09, 08:21 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
1. Can I simply remove the plug from the old dryer and put it on the new dryer?
by National Electrical Code; yes. Don;t know if Florida says any different but I doubt they do. Do not forget to attach the proper bond strip of wire from the neutral connection on the dryer to the ground connection of the dryer. There are generally instructions in the owners or installation manual.

2. Would it be better to put in a new outlet on her house?
Yes but not required.

don't forget the neutral/ground bond I mentioned. Critical and a life safety concern.

Old 01-02-09, 09:09 PM
J
Just to reinforce what the others have said, you need to do two things: (1) go to the home center and buy a 3-wire dryer cord-and-plug, and (2) find the instructions for 3-wire connections in your dryer's installation instructions--don't guess on this--find and follow the instructions!!!!!

You may not simply replace the receptacle without rewiring the entire circuit back to the panel.

Old 01-03-09, 05:27 AM
M
Red face Thanks!

Thanks to each of you for your response, I will work on it this afternoon and update later.

Old 01-03-09, 01:10 PM
M
Update

Well, I took off the power cord from the old dryer, as well as the power cord from the new dryer. I did some research on the internet and still felt consfused so I took both cords up to the local hardware store.

The guy there said I could simply switch the one cord out for the other, as long as I made sure that the hot wires went to the right location. I did that and everything seems to be work well so far.

Thoughts?

Old 01-03-09, 01:22 PM
nap
yes, the guy at the local hardware store is an idiot and could cause you a very dangerous situation (read: lethal)

you MUST connect the ground and neutral terminals on the dryer.

post the model of the dryer and I'll try to find a drawing on the net to show you how.

Old 01-03-09, 01:31 PM
J
The guy at the hardware store was dangerously wrong. "Work well" does not translate to "safe".

Old 01-03-09, 01:46 PM
This is just another followup to stress the point already made that wiring a 3-wire cord and plug to a 4-terminal dryer improperly is VERY UNSAFE and can result in ELECTROCUTION DEATH if any wiring problems (such as melted insulation, or even as simple as a buildup of condensation in lint) happen and someone touches the dryer while being grounded (like touching the washing machine). There are separate neutral and ground terminals in modern dryers and BOTH MUST be connected to the neutral when the only circuit available is an old 3-wire circuit.

If you don't do this, please visit: Wills, Trusts and Estate Planning - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Additional: If the dryer circuit is on a SUB panel, rather than the MAIN panel, you should plan to have the circuit rewired as soon as you can (it will have to be a 4-wire circuit since new work has to meet current code).

Old 01-03-09, 06:22 PM
M
Smile

Okay, I think I'll have an electrician come out to take a look at it, I don't have the time to fool with it, nor the expertise. The dryer is a Kenmore so I could probably have Sears come out to work on it.

I appreciate the words of advice and the thoughts!

Old 01-04-09, 08:24 PM
nap
Originally Posted by misterjw View Post
Okay, I think I'll have an electrician come out to take a look at it, I don't have the time to fool with it, nor the expertise. The dryer is a Kenmore so I could probably have Sears come out to work on it.

I appreciate the words of advice and the thoughts!
It really isn't that difficult.

I apologize if I scared the dickens out of you but it can cause a very serious situation if not done correctly.

If you want to give it a shot, let us know. We'll help you DIY!!!

Old 01-05-09, 05:56 PM
M
Smile

I understand, thanks. It won't be until this weekend that I will be able to take a picture and upload. Will write back with more info soon.

Thanks.

Old 01-11-09, 07:22 AM
M
More Info.

For some reason I was thinking I could upload a picture of the back of the dryer, but didn't see any way on this website to do that. So, here is the information on the dryer.

Sears Kenmore
Model 110.64652400
Serial # MR2003084
Type: DWJR-ELE-2406028-FM4

Thanks for any information you may have!

Old 01-11-09, 12:23 PM
nap
having a hard time finding any specific pic so will throw out a few and see if anything relates to yours.

these are set-up for 3 wire cords. Notice the bonding jumper. That is what you must have when hooking up a dryer using a 3 wire cord. It is very simple. It attaches the incoming neutral (generally at the terminal) to some point designated as ground. If you do not have the bonding jumper, you can make one using (at least) #10 copper wire and the apprpriate terminal ends.

Make any sense? Ask any questions you may have.

I just looked again and I am not sure the second pic has the bonding jumper hooked up for a 3 wire. I cannot tell where it goes to and I see a "ground" symbol to the right so just be aware of this.