How to wire a 230 volt motor air compressor

Old 01-03-09, 03:55 PM
How to wire a 230 volt motor air compressor

Hi, I bought a Campbell Hausfeld 3.2 hp 230 volt electic motor air compresser with a 60 gallon tank from Tractor Supply. The pressure switch does not have a power cord. I need to wire it in to the breaker box. My question is will #12 romex and a two pole 220 circuit breaker be the correct hook up for this motor? I have a home version of a Square D panel box with several knock outs available at the bottom of the panel box. The pressure switch box has 3 wires prewired to the motor. A green ground a black wire and a white wire wired into the pressure switch via spade type connectors. There are two brass screws to accomodate the new wires also on the pressure switch. There is an identical screw for the new ground just opposite the motors prewired green ground. The local hardware store electrical expert told me this wire and breaker application was the way to go. Any help will be greatly appreciated! KT

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 04:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums. If the motor is already wired for 240 volts, and your switch is rated at 240 volts, you need to determine the amperage of the motor to determine the size of wire. I would probably think a compressor this large will require a 30 amp service which requires 10-2. Your bare wire will be attached to the green screw on the switch, the white on one side of the switch and the black on the other side. The motor wiring will be coming off the corresponding screws next to your new ones.

Old 01-03-09, 11:29 PM
Hi Chandler, The motor is a 230 volt 3.2 hp will i need to use a 30 amp circuit breaker with #10 wire? I want to make sure I don't use too small of a gauge wire causing it to overheat. I read an earlier thread that seem to think a 220 breaker would be the min and 230 being reccomened the same for the wire. The price is basicly the same for the 230 VS the 220 breaker. Does the motors voltage dictate the breaker size? Thanks KT

Old 01-04-09, 12:26 AM
More info on the air compressor

Hi, Chandler took some info from the sticker on the side of the compressor. The label has this info:
Wired for 240V/15A/60HZ/1PH
This seems to be what you were saying in your reply. The information in the operating manual is misleading. So with this new info am I safe to buy a 240 breaker with 10-2 wire ? I am a weldor not an electrician so please suffer my newbie electrical questions Thanks much KT

Old 01-04-09, 12:50 AM
I will go with # 12-2 with 20A two pole breaker unless the compressor motor have hard time starting and kick out the breaker before you go that far for a min can you tell me how far you are from the breaker box ?

And if you are not in sight of breaker box you will need a disconnect switch for safety issue { required per NEC }

For the Sqd Products there is Homeline or QO series breaker and both are not interchangeable as you noticed with size

If you have HOM series { one inch breakers } you use HOM220 breaker { that is catalog number }

If you have QO series { 3/4 inch breakers } you can use QO220 breaker.

If you have more question just holler one of us can help ya

Merci,Marc

Old 01-04-09, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I agree with Marc on the 12-2 and 20 amp double breaker. You only have one voltage at your panel. It will range from 220 to 240 volts, so there is no difference in the breakers as far as the voltage goes. For a 240 volt circuit it will require a double pole breaker since you have two legs from different sides of the panel providing the power.

Old 01-05-09, 09:08 PM
Hey guys thanks for your responses. I bought the new circuit breaker and the wire for the compressor. Seems you are right on the money with your advice. To answer the question about how far the compressor is from the breaker box , it will be in sight of the box I would say no further than 10' to 15' still setting things up for the new plasma cutter etc. I spoke to a fella that has the exact air compressor that I just purchased. He wired his with 12-2 and used a 220 two pole breaker. So looks like it should be a go. Thanks again for all of your help. I think I have found a new place to hang my hat. I'm sure I will have more questions to pick your brains with! KT

Old 01-05-09, 09:15 PM
I forgot to ask is there a sure fire way to make sure the panel box is completely off when I do go into it to make the addition? I know the main breaker is at the top is that all I need to throw to stop the flow of electricity to the rest of the box? Sounds kind of obvious but I am really not in to getting zapped so I don't mind looking stupid here LOL! KT

Last edited by KT WELDOR; 01-05-09 at 09:25 PM. Reason: duplicate response
Old 01-05-09, 09:42 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by KT WELDOR View Post
I forgot to ask is there a sure fire way to make sure the panel box is completely off when I do go into it to make the addition? I know the main breaker is at the top is that all I need to throw to stop the flow of electricity to the rest of the box?
Even with the main breaker off there will be exposed live metal at the main breaker where the line-in is connected. It is always wise to work as if it is a live circuit even if you think it isn't. Use insulated tools, and whenever possible keep one hand in your pocket.

Old 01-06-09, 01:50 PM
Hi Ray, Thanks for the reply. I treat electricity like a loaded gun I always assume it is loaded! I have a bunch of klein tools I got a few years back would these screw drivers ect be the type of tool you would use to work on this panel box? I am curious about keeping one hand in your pocket? Did I miss something here lol? I am probably making more of this than is needed, I just really don't want to fry myself. I feel pretty confident that I can handle this project just want all the bases covered. I have the new circuit breaker and the Romex. I will prob tackle it this weekend. Will let you all know how it turns out. If I think of it I will try to take some pictures of the box and the compressor for others to see. Thanks again KT

Old 02-01-09, 06:42 PM
Is this correct?

I would attach the two hot wires to the arrows and the ground to the ground screw.
Pressure Switch on Compressor on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

A cord would connect the pressure switch to this:
NEMA 60-20P on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This would be attached to the wall:
20A Single Outlet 250 volt on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The wall plug would be wired with 12 guage to this:
30 APM double pole on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Any input would be great.

Old 02-01-09, 08:38 PM
You will need a 12/3 SO or SJO cord to connect from the pressure switch to the plug.

The breaker needs to be 20A.