Please help me identify this wire (giant)

Old 01-04-09, 02:28 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Please help me identify this wire (giant)

I had new service run to my house to a 600amp meter, that fed 2 separate 200amp subpanels. This is a large 3 unit Victorian. My contractors left this spool of wire. From the diameter of the spool and counting the number of loops, I estimate I have about 200+ ft.

The outside diameter is over 1/2" and the inside measures to about 1/2". The end of the wire is squashed so it's somewhat oval and hard to measure exactly. Is this stuff worth anything? It takes 2 large men to lift this spool so its a lot of material.

Image of BigWire1.jpg

thanks for any help!
-David

Old 01-04-09, 02:38 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
On the outside of the wire insulation is some lettering. It tells you (and us) what kind of wire you have.

Old 01-04-09, 03:20 PM
My contractors left this spool of wire.
its worth a bit of $$$ have you thought about calling the contractor and telling them they left it ?

Old 01-04-09, 03:45 PM
J
I looked and there are no markings on the outside, which I thought was strange.

I paid for the wire so it belongs to me... this project was completed about 2 years ago and now I am trying to clean up my place. I cant find any paperwork that would tell me what wire gauge it is. So I have to try to figure out on my own.

Old 01-04-09, 04:04 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Looks like cooper. current scrap price is over $1.00 a pound. Some scrap yards will strip for free. Call around for best price.

Old 01-04-09, 04:35 PM
J
I've been told I can get a few bucks at a recycler for the copper... seems like a shame to waste good wire though.

Old 01-04-09, 05:17 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Pull out the conductor few feet you will find the marking on the conductor and myself I have a huntch it look like either 2/0 or 3/0 copper take one more photo but get a quarter next to it so i can able eyeball little more on sizewise.

If that is in excllecnet shape I am sure some EC may be instering to buy the whole spool of leftover conductor I am sure there are few pojects that EC's will like to use that.

You will able snag up pretty nice chunk of money if done right.
{ if no damage to it ., it will worth more than scrap value btw }

Merci,Marc

Old 01-04-09, 05:22 PM
B
Received 44 Upvotes on 40 Posts
Does the spool have any identification on it? ebay might get you some buyers, or a local ad. Also calling some of the local commercial/residential electricians might stir up some interest.

Or hang on to it, as the price of copper was very high until everything dropped. At the peak I was walking through the plumbing dept at a big box and overheard a clerk looking for the price of a 6' piece of 2" copper. He shouted over to the other clerk, $65. Over $10 a foot. Consider it a commodities investment.

hny
Bud

Old 01-04-09, 07:15 PM
J
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info. I went back out there and pulled more wire and I did find a date and 2 names Lewis/Schwartzkopf? The good news is that as I was moving all the lumber and materials around the spool, I did find a label which must have fallen off which tells me exactly what it is- 3/O!

Big Wire Label

I searched 3/0 on the web and I see prices around $5/ft, so 200+ feet is definitely worth something! Sweet!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: