Can I change a main lug panel to a main breaker panel?

Old 01-04-09, 10:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I change a main lug panel to a main breaker panel?

Currently, i have a 60amp fuse(old) panel(outside of house) that feeds into a main lug inside of house. I need more breakers to feed off of, can I upgrade the main lug panel to
a main breaker panel? I think i can but want to check here for some good advice.

The panel outside is OLD and has the screw type fuses with the power meter above it. Also has a main shutoff switch.

Thank you

Old 01-05-09, 02:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 99 Posts
Some MLO panels can be converted to main breaker. If you can post a model number and brand you can get a better answer.

Perhaps it is time to consider a service upgrade and get rid of the fuse panel.

Old 01-05-09, 07:02 AM
R
To clarify, I am looking to swap box completely to a main breaker from a main lug. I was not sure if it matters that there is already a fuse box "up stream". Swap would leave me
both old fuses (located about 15 feet outside of house) and main breaker located inside of house). Currently the main lug panel is located inside house also.

thank you for response

Old 01-05-09, 09:16 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
Yes, you can put a main breaker panel where a MLO panel used to be assuming this is for "replacement" purpose only.

Your inspector or power company may have an issue with doing a partial service change on a 60A fused service though so you will need to check with them first. Minimum allowed service size is now 100A by code, so your inspector may want the entire thing upgraded while you're doing this fairly major change.

Another issue you may run into is that the indoor subpanel now requires a four-wire feeder (hot, hot, neutral and ground) and based on the age of your fused service there is a good chance you only have three-wire (hot, hot and neutral), so this is another thing the inspector may require you to upgrade with the panel.

Old 01-05-09, 09:47 PM
R
thank you for the clear response. Some upgrading to do!

Old 01-06-09, 08:59 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 42 Posts
I just pointed out those things as upgrades you might have to do as part of this project. It will really depend on the particular inspector. If, for example, your existing MLO panel is damaged and needs urgent repair as a safety issue but you don't have the time or money to also do the other upgrades the inspectors can be pretty flexible if you explain the situation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: