Please help with dropping 200 to 100 amps

Old 01-08-09, 07:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Please help with dropping 200 to 100 amps

I have 200 amp service at the pole and 2/0 copper going into the home. The home has a 100 amp panel. I know I should up the inside to 200 amp but time prevents me from this now. The county says I can still hook it up but need to drop one leg down on a bus bar so I am not putting 200 amps thru the 100 amp main breaker in the inside panel. What are they telling me? I need a print to see what they want. Anyone ever done this? Please help asap as I can't get power until this is done.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-09, 07:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Shane,

Is there a disconnect at the pole feeding into the house panel? Is there a main breaker in the panel in the house?

Unless I am misunderstanding something your setup sounds fine. Your 100 amp main would trip if too much power was being used in the house. Your wiring feeding that panel is simply oversized for the 100 amp main.

The only issue I can see would be if the lugs on the 100 amp breaker could not accept the 2/0.

Did they give you a Code article that you would be violating?

Old 01-08-09, 05:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I agree with PC, running the 2/0 isn't a problem unless you can't make the bends in the box, which may be a problem. Otherwise, they are supplying you with voltage, not a particular amperage, although it is limited to the cable size, which exceeds your 100 amp needs. Locally, often they POCO will go ahead and standardize their drops regardless of the size of need in the residence. That way, they don't have to go back and upgrade the wiring when the owner upgrades their panels.

Old 01-08-09, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It sounds like a paperwork glitch: The inspector's clipboard sez it's supposed to be 200 amp service, but he sees a 100 amp panel, so he rejects it. Ask to see the papers.