Remote ON/OFF switch for Air Compressor

Old 01-09-09, 06:12 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remote ON/OFF switch for Air Compressor

Hello all -

you folks have been a tremendous help on past electrical projects and I have another one.

I purchased an Ingersoll Rand SS5L5 air compressor and I want to locate it in the basement and route lines upstairs into the garage. The way my house is situated, a portion of hte basement shares the sill plate of the garage.

I'd like to put a switch inside the garage, so I don't have to go downstairs to start it - I would just leave it plugged in. Is it as simple as replicating the switch wiring that is currently on it? Would imagine I'd just run it through some conduit, up through the sill and along the wall to the position of the switch.

I plan on using a dedicated 30 amp circuit off the main panel (Was an electric oven circuit, but I switched to gas appliances..)

Any advise, cautions or how-tos would be excellent!

Mike

Old 01-09-09, 07:11 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know the draw on that compressor, but this works well on my 240V 1-1/2 HP dust collection

Old 01-09-09, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You could use a switch loop on the receptacle and a 30a or 60a AC disconnect switch (the toggle type not the pull out type). You'd need the not so common 4 conductor NM cable or conduit and 4 conductors plus ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: