Home for doorbell transformer

Old 01-17-09, 09:08 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Home for doorbell transformer

I am getting ready to drywall my basement but I need a home for the doorbell transformer. An outlet box is nearby but if the transformer fails I assume I won't be able to get at it. My other option is a nearby ceiling canned light. Can I use this box without a problem? I suppose my other option is to do a junction box in the ceiling and run a long wire (40 ft) to my workroom where I have several accessible options.

Any tips or ideas are much appreciated.

Old 01-17-09, 09:40 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
An outlet box is nearby but if the transformer fails I assume I won't be able to get at it.
All junction boxes must remain accessible when you dry wall. You could use a double gang switch box, place the transformer inside, and use a blank cover plate.

Old 01-17-09, 03:05 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If your transformer is typical, it's mounted on the outside of a box, correct?

It draws so little power that it can be mounted just about anywhere there's a lighting circuit or receptacle circuit. Rather than run 120 VAC the 40 feet to your work room, consider mounting the transformer to a box in the workroom and moving the low-voltage wires. If you have to splice the low-voltage wires, make sure they're accessible.

Old 01-17-09, 03:11 PM
V
I like both ideas - thanks. I think I'll try to splice the low voltage doorbell wire in the nearby outlet box and then run a low voltage wire to my workroom. Thanks again.

Old 01-17-09, 09:39 PM
F
There is other option you can go is if your breaker box is surface mounted then you can able use one of the konckout and mount the doorbell transfomer there and yes it is common pratice to do that.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-18-09, 07:22 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Remember, you can't have both AC power wires and low-voltage wires in the same box unless it is divided.

Old 01-18-09, 08:13 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I had to replace an old 10v transformer to operate a modern doorbell (16v) at my SIL's house in Denver a month ago. Like to NEVER have found the transformer. Thought it was in the attic above the doorbell...Noooo. Behind the zip box.....Noooo. It was 3 floors down next to the furnace on a J-box with a service receptacle. Go figure.

Old 01-18-09, 11:26 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
Remember, you can't have both AC power wires and low-voltage wires in the same box unless it is divided.
Rick just for my knowledge wouldn't the exception be if the box was only to house the transformer and only 120 was to the primary or am I wrong?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: