How Many Circuits Needed for 1-Room Addition?

Old 01-20-09, 08:41 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
How Many Circuits Needed for 1-Room Addition?

Hi, I hope this is a quick and easy answer for you all, so I don't take up too much time.

How many circuits do I need for a 1-bedroom addition we are adding to our plain ranch home?

We are adding a 19x12 bedroom to the current bedroom and the current bedroom will be converted to the bathroom.

My current count is 2: one for the wall outlets and lighting for the new addition (bedroom) and one dedicated to the wirlpool tub (with no heater). I also intend to replace the outlets with fault interrupt outlets in the bathroom.

Any other circuits needed besides those 2?

Thanks in advance ...just trying to plan ahead. -Tony

Old 01-20-09, 08:47 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Depends on what electrical stuff you might use in the bedroom. If you don't plan anything heavy (e.g., air conditioner, space heater), your two circuits sound enough.

Of course, you'll (probably) need a dedicated circuit for the bathroom too. The bathroom receptacle(s) cannot be on the same circuit as anything in the bedroom (or anywhere else).

And your bedroom circuit will probably need to be AFCI.

If you move the existing smoke detector into the new room by extending the wiring, you can probably leave it on the same circuit it's already on (to preserve the interconnect). But the inspector may want you to replace this breaker with an AFCI breaker.

Old 01-20-09, 09:11 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wow, thanks for the quick response.

My current bedroom (which will be converted into a bathroom) is part of a circuit servicing another bedroom, a 1/2 bath light, a lower level light and a lower level outlet. Are you saying that I'll be required (by code) to take it off that circuit and create an independent one for the new bath?

Thanks again! -tony17112acst

Old 01-21-09, 07:08 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes......................

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: