Old Bodine motor speed

Old 01-21-09, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Bodine motor speed

I have an old Bodine AC Motor from the 50's. Type NYC55R.
It's rated at 900/1800 rpms, 1/60 - 1/15 hp, 115v.
It's currently wired for 1800 rpm. I need it to run at 900 rpm. I know that the armature wiring has to be re-configured.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this or any similar type Bodine motor from the 40's, 50's 60's. Thanks much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-09, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
First, are you sure this is not a DC gearmotor?
How many leads, what are, if any, markings on them.

Sounds like a 90/180 volt DC gearmotor.

Old 01-22-09, 06:43 AM
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I've worked with a lot of Bodine's, but not that style. Sounds like you need to rewire the armature, to double the number of poles, from 4 to 8. Have you checked with Bodine directly?

Old 01-22-09, 10:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old Bodine AC Motor from the 50's. Type NYC-55R

If the product "type" that you provided is correct, then this is a permanent split capcitor, synchronous, two-speed motor or gearmotor. The N-frame product line was obsleted in the mid-1990s. The motor requires a run capacitor at all times, the correct capacitor value should be stated on the motor nameplate. The motor has a stator (winding) with two different sets of coils in it. You can get the low speed (900 rpm) by connecting the motor wires in a different configuration. But I can't tell you what it is (I have no idea)...

Our Tech support staff might be able to tell you how this two-speed motor or gearmotor needs to be connected. You can go to Bodine Electric Company - Gearmotors, Geared Motors, Controls, AC, DC, Brushless DC, Gearmotor, and request "support" via an online form, or simply call the Tech Support staff in Chicago.

Out Tech Supp people will likely ask for the full serial number from the motor nameplate, and other n/p details, and/or even for the color code of the motor leads.

Good Luck!