Help wiring ceiling fan

Old 01-25-09, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help wiring ceiling fan

I am replacing an existing overhead light with a ceiling fan with light kit. The overhead light is controlled with two 3-way switches at opposite ends of the room.

I purchased a 3-wire light/fan switch.

Can I wire the light/fan switch to control the fan and light at one location and use the other existing switch to control only the light on the fan at the other location? If I can, how do I wire it?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-09, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not without doing some new wiring.

Old 01-25-09, 10:33 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If power for the light comes in at the fan you can control the fan and light separately at one location or control the fan at one location and the light at the other. Your better option may be a wireless control.

Old 01-25-09, 10:41 AM
Power comes through the switches.

I am now thinking of exchanging the fan/light switch for a fan only switch and then wiring one side of the room to control the fan and replace the other 3-way switch with a 2-way switch and have it control the light. We really won't be using the light too much on the fan and the layout of the room makes this viable.

This should work, shouldn't it?

Old 01-25-09, 01:39 PM
Are you sure power comes in at the switch? If so it would be possible. At the switch with power in wire-nut together all whites. Wire-nut all grounds plus a pigtail for the switch and one for the box if metal.

Connect both blacks and a 6" pigtail together. Connect black pigtail to switch. Connect red wire to remaining switch screw.

At the light wire-nut the blacks together. Cap the white wire to the "without power in" switch with a wire nut. Mark the red wire to the "without power in" switch with black or blue tape.

At the "without power in" switch connect red and black to the switch. Cap the white.

Red and remarked black go separately to light and fan. White from switch with power goes to fan white.

Above assumes only a two conductor and a single three conductor cable at power in switch and only a single 3 conductor cable at other switch. It also assumes only two three conductor cables at the light. No other wires, If yours is different at any point STOP don't guess, post back for more instructions.

Old 01-25-09, 06:35 PM
Yes, both switches definitely have power. Both switches have 2-wire in and 3-wire out. I haven't pulled the light out yet but I am assuming there will be two 3-wire going in.

There are no switch screws on the fan/light switch, just three leads; black, red and blue.

I think I am going to wire one switch for just the fan and the other switch just for the light.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Are you sure power comes in at the switch? If so it would be possible. At the switch with power in wire-nut together all whites. Wire-nut all grounds plus a pigtail for the switch and one for the box if metal.

Connect both blacks and a 6" pigtail together. Connect black pigtail to switch. Connect red wire to remaining switch screw.

At the light wire-nut the blacks together. Cap the white wire to the "without power in" switch with a wire nut. Mark the red wire to the "without power in" switch with black or blue tape.

At the "without power in" switch connect red and black to the switch. Cap the white.

Red and remarked black go separately to light and fan. White from switch with power goes to fan white.

Above assumes only a two conductor and a single three conductor cable at power in switch and only a single 3 conductor cable at other switch. It also assumes only two three conductor cables at the light. No other wires, If yours is different at any point STOP don't guess, post back for more instructions.

Old 01-25-09, 06:43 PM
Yes, both switches definitely have power. Both switches have 2-wire in and 3-wire out. I haven't pulled the light out yet but I am assuming there will be two 3-wire going in.
Do Not follow my instructions. We need to find out why you have two cables in each switch box. Only one should have two cables. Pull the light and see what is there. You are going to need either a test light or analog multimeter.

Old 01-25-09, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Luvrbcs View Post

There are no switch screws on the fan/light switch, just three leads; black, red and blue.

I think I am going to wire one switch for just the fan and the other switch just for the light.

Just stop right there and verify the numbers of the conductors at the luminarie location you will have to get into the luminaire one way or other and count all the conductors in there.

Any chance you have conduit { pipe } in your building ??

Merci,Marc

Old 01-25-09, 07:02 PM
No problem, I am not ready to hook up anyways. I still need to install the fan brace so I will see what wires I have going in the light when I do that.

Why would it be a problem to have a 2-wire in and 3-wire out in each switch box? Wouldn't each switch having it's own power be ok also?

I will also pull the covers and look at the switches again to verify the wiring is what I said previously. Maybe I saw it wrong.

I appreciate the help.

BTW, no conduit.

Do Not follow my instructions. We need to find out why you have two cables in each switch box. Only one should have two cables. Pull the light and see what is there. You are going to need either a test light or analog multimeter.
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Just stop right there and verify the numbers of the conductors at the luminarie location you will have to get into the luminaire one way or other and count all the conductors in there.

Any chance you have conduit { pipe } in your building ??

Merci,Marc

Old 01-25-09, 07:49 PM
Why would it be a problem to have a 2-wire in and 3-wire out in each switch box? Wouldn't each switch having it's own power be ok also?
No, There should be only one source of power to the light. At this point what you have described doesn't make sense.

Old 01-31-09, 02:27 PM
No, There should be only one source of power to the light. At this point what you have described doesn't make sense.

Ok, checked and here is what I have.

I have Box 1 with 2 switches, Switch A (2-way) goes to kitchen light and Switch B (3-way) goes to nook light that will be replaced with fan. Box 2 has Switch C (3-way) which is the mate to Switch B.

Box 1 has a 3-wire to Switch A, with Black going to top terminal and Red being pigtailed with 2 Blacks, 1 Black to bottom terminal. I think this is switch-looped. 2nd Black pigtail goes to Switch B common terminal (bottom terminal of side with two terminals).

There is also a 3-wire going out of Box 1 with Black coming from the upper terminal of Switch B and Red coming from the bottom terminal (opposite the common terminal). Whites are all tied together.

In Box 2 I have a 3-wire coming in with Red going to the upper terminal of Switch C and Black going to the lower terminal (opposite the common terminal). Whites are all tied together.

Then I have a 2-wire leaving Box 2 with the black coming from the common terminal (bottom terminal of side with two terminals).

Box for Nook light has 2-wire coming in.

Does this make sense?

Now, what I would like to do is control the fan from Box 1, Switch B with a fan switch and the light on the fan from Box 2, switch C with a light switch. Is this possible? I cannot run new/additional wire to the location.

I have found fan/light switches for 3-wire setups, but I don't think I can use this because I only have 2-wire going to the fan. I have also found found fan/light switches for 2-wire that use some kind of remote, but it probably won't work the way I need.

Maybe there is a way to wire the light control using the 3-wire running between Box 1 and 2?

Keeping my fingers crossed!

john...

Old 01-31-09, 03:26 PM
Terms like "top" "bottom" "side" are meaningless. Different manufactures put their terminals in different positions. When describing a three way switch the terms are travelers and common. The common is the odd colored screw. The travelers are the two same colored screws. I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding what you wrote. some of it sounded wrong but maybe I was misreading.

Old 01-31-09, 05:06 PM
Terms like "top" "bottom" "side" are meaningless. Different manufactures put their terminals in different positions. When describing a three way switch the terms are travelers and common. The common is the odd colored screw. The travelers are the two same colored screws. I'm sorry but I'm having trouble understanding what you wrote. some of it sounded wrong but maybe I was misreading.
On my switches, there are two screws on one side and one screw on the other. My reference to 'common' is to the odd colored screw, which is the 'bottom' screw from my viewpoint.

Sorry for the confusion.

Switch A is only mentioned so you where I am getting power from, otherwise it has no bearing on anything.

Anything I can explain further?

Last edited by Luvrbcs; 01-31-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-31-09, 06:16 PM
Does box 1 have only one 2-conductor cable and only one 3-conductor cable?

Old 01-31-09, 06:43 PM
Does box 1 have only one 2-conductor cable and only one 3-conductor cable?
Box 1 has two 3-conductor cables. One that appears to be for the kitchen light (Switch A) and one connected to Switch B and leaving to Switch C.

Am I able to attach pictures?

Old 01-31-09, 07:41 PM
You can post pictures to a photo sharing site such as Photobucket then post the link here.

If only two cables in box 1 it is not likely the power source. That is the confusing part. Each switch should be to a separate cable with no interconnection between the two. What are the cables and connection where you are going to put the fan?

Old 02-01-09, 12:23 PM
Here are pics.

Fan Wiring pictures by luvrbcs - Photobucket

The wiring looks like regular switch-switch-light wiring. 3-wire between switches and 2-wire to light.

Old 02-01-09, 12:40 PM
I am going to back off and let one of the mods or electricians answer this.

Old 02-02-09, 06:17 AM
I am going to back off and let one of the mods or electricians answer this.
Thanks for the effort. I appreciate it.

Old 02-02-09, 09:29 PM
I looked at the photo and the way the wiring is set up you have power comming in one of the threeway switch then go to next three way switch after that it go to the fan/luminaire.

for that setup unforetally you can not get the fan and light to be working seperated at all with exsting wiring setup without redo the whole thing.

One option you can do is have remote fan/luminaire controller for other options I am not to sure yet due alot of new stuff is comming out and I am not up to the speed with new gimzo's

If other readers here have some nice gimzo pass it out.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-06-09, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
I looked at the photo and the way the wiring is set up you have power comming in one of the threeway switch then go to next three way switch after that it go to the fan/luminaire.

for that setup unforetally you can not get the fan and light to be working seperated at all with exsting wiring setup without redo the whole thing.

One option you can do is have remote fan/luminaire controller for other options I am not to sure yet due alot of new stuff is comming out and I am not up to the speed with new gimzo's

If other readers here have some nice gimzo pass it out.

Merci,Marc
Thanks, Marc.

I was afraid that was going to be the case.

There is a fan/light switch that is specific to a 2-wire. It uses some type of remote to control either the fan, or more likely, the light. I guess that is the way I will have to go. I will just bypass the second switch and wirenut the wires together.

Yes, if there are other gizmos out there, please speak up.

john...