What to do with wires after removing fan

Old 01-27-09, 06:45 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What to do with wires after removing fan

I have been reading some of the posts on this forum and believe I know what I should do, but would like to make sure.

I removed a ceiling fan from my kitchen. There are three wires (black, white, ground) that I put wire nuts on.

There was not a light attached to the fan as there are other flourescent light fixtures in the general area of the fan.

The wires from the fan and the wires for the flourescent lights come out of the same box (different holes). The lights' wires are encased in a metal tubing. The fan's wires are in a white plastic tubing.

Can I leave the wire nuts on the fan's wires, as long as I get them into the box? Or do I need to find another means of terminating them?

Currently because of the design in the kitchen (I also removed a mirror, some wood framing, etc.) the wires are hanging.

I ultimately want to remove the flourescent lighting and replace everything with one light fixture in the center where the ceiling fan was attached. But that won't be for a week or so.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-09, 07:09 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you can leave the capped wires in the box. I feel like I would like to offer you more advice, but there are just too many unknowns for me to try. Post back if you have further questions.

Remember that all wires ends and splices must be in permanently accessible boxes.

Old 01-27-09, 07:13 PM
D
Thank you. I may post back when I move on to the light project.

Old 02-02-09, 04:29 PM
D
I'm back for the light project. I am installing a new light where the old fan was. I am going to remove the five fluorescent lights that are installed (serially).

As I stated before, the wires from the fan and the wires for the flourescent lights come out of the same box (different holes). The lights' wires are encased in a metal tubing. The fan's wires are in a white plastic tubing.

Once I remove the fluorescent lights does it matter which set of wires I use?

Old 02-02-09, 09:03 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, I'm sure it matters. But I need more information.

As I stated before, the wires from the fan and the wires for the flourescent lights come out of the same box (different holes). The lights' wires are encased in a metal tubing. The fan's wires are in a white plastic tubing.
Where exactly is this box? And how do you know where the wires come from? How did you previously turn the fan on and off? How did you previously turn the fluorescent lights on and off?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: