USA made breaker box and breakers?

Old 01-28-09, 09:48 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
USA made breaker box and breakers?

Hello,
I'm planning to upgrade the electrical service in my house from 100 amps to 200 amps. I like to use only USA made parts, where are GE's panels and breakers made? It looks like square D's panels are USA made but alot of their breakers are assembled in Mexico. There is a company called milbrook that makes a USA made meter Socket, does anyone know anything about them?
In short, Are there any manufactures that make 100% USA made breaker boxes and breakers?
thanks,
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-09, 11:12 AM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
Are you sure you not talking about Milbank? Residential Sockets | Milbank Manufacturing They have been around for a long time. Good stuff. As far a where made, I can't help you. Maybe send them an e-mail.

Old 01-28-09, 11:16 AM
T
Take trip to the Big Box stores and look on the circuit breakers they sell and you'll see how many are NOT made in the USA.

Old 01-28-09, 11:37 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Honestly I doubt that any of them are 100% (or even 1%) made in the USA; there's no way they could be competitive at $3.00/breaker. I think a better goal would simply be to buy your parts from a locally owned supply house instead of the big box store. The parts might not be USA made, but at least you're supporting local business who are often much more helpful and have more products than the big box anyway.

There is a company called milbrook that makes a USA made meter Socket, does anyone know anything about them?
Check with your power company first. Many have a list of approved meter sockets. Sometimes you have to buy the meter socket through the power company.

Old 01-28-09, 11:54 AM
M
milbank...that was it...thanks

Old 01-28-09, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I always say...look for what is commonly carried locally...much better chance of getting things you need later. Don't think anything is 100% US made anymore.

Old 01-28-09, 03:03 PM
Wher made?

How much more would you be willing to pay for the quality product because it was made in the U.S. - That is the bottom line!

Where it is made has little to do with the quality. Many American companies have equipment manufactured to their specifications using American or foreigh components. You have to rely on the name and guarantee of the company supplying the product to you.

Chinese computers are made/assembled using U.S. electronic parts and those from other companies.

Do you actually think a Ford, Chrysler or GM product is totally made in the U.S.? If you want a fine, high quality violin forget about the U.S. and just go to China.

It is all driven by the marketing and pricing that is dictated in the end by the purchaser.

Old 01-28-09, 03:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 83 Posts
The way companies are nowadays they are not just US but global. GE is all over the world as is Seimans/ITE (Which I think may be German?)

I agree, go with quality stuff locally. Square D QO has been around forever as has ITE/Seimans and GE (but with GE I'd go with the full size breakers/panel not he skinny ones). They are all good choices.

Old 01-29-09, 07:34 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
I will add to that saying that even though those companies probably do not manufacture in the US, they do employ thousands of people in other jobs in the US including the engineering staff, regulatory compliance, and distribution chain like sales reps and dealers who all ultimately contribute to the final product.

Old 01-29-09, 05:15 PM
N
SqD makes panels in Cedar Rapids Iowa, but i'm sure their breakers are mexican made. Eaton/Cutler Hammer makes panelboards in Shenandoah Iowa also, breakers, dunno. I only know this cause cedar rapids is an hour away and my cousin lives in shenandah I'm positive i looked at a SqD QO panel and it said made in cedar rapids.

Old 01-29-09, 11:22 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
For what it's worth, Square D is owned by Schneider Electric and I believe that Schneider is headquartered in France.

Old 01-30-09, 07:05 PM
N
probably right, Schneiders web site says they're based mainly in europe. Plus, the only alternative language for the web site is French.

Old 02-01-09, 08:15 PM
C
Schneider also has a Canadian division, which still manufactures and sells FPE Stab-lock, which have not been a problem in Canada.
I have seen a couple panels that use a Square D main with Stab-lock branch breakers.