Help Needed?

Old 02-01-09, 07:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help Needed?

In my basement I have a switch controlling two lights plus a constant receptacle. I have heard numerous times this will not work without a three wire connection. This setup has been there since I bought the house several years ago, and it always had 14-2 wire. My mistake started when I changed the switch from a really old one to a new one, just for looks. I also re-ran the same wire through the studs instead of being stapled to it again just for looks. fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>
I have only changed the switch nothing else new, but when I went to re-connect the wires I forgot which way they went. I have searched and searched, and tried I think every combination, and nothing. Again this worked for a long time with all 14-2 wire. Any help would be appreciated!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-09, 08:16 PM
I am trying to attach a drawing to better explain, but it will not let me do it?

Old 02-01-09, 08:26 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
You will have to first upload your drawing to a photo hosting site like photobucket.com or villagephotos.com and then post the public URL of the drawing here.

Old 02-01-09, 08:58 PM
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
If all you did was essentially replace one switch, then describe the wires entering that box. there are several possibilities, but a wire count may narrow it down.

For example, you could have three 14x2 wires in the box. three blacks, three whites, and three copper grounds. Give us a count.

Bud

Old 02-02-09, 12:41 AM
Unless it is a three-way switch, meaning that both switches in the circuit turn on/off the same lights and receptacle, the black wires should go to the switch, and the whites should be wire-nutted together and the bare copper wires should be wire nutted together with a pigtail to the green screw on the switch. All the switch does is break the power leg of the circuit. If the system is three-way, you need a three-way switch. The wiring of that switch can vary, so a diagram would be needed to help you out. Good luck.

Old 02-08-09, 05:28 PM
Old 02-08-09, 05:43 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Is the cable between the lights three conductor or are there two 2-conductor cables between the lights. We can only guess till you tell us how many individual wires and their colors in each box. and how many cables..

Old 02-11-09, 03:56 PM
The wires are only black and white, and ground. There are no three wire cables, that is the problem if there was I would understand it. I don't understand because the cables are all two wire, that is something I have never seen before, not that I would I have no professional training, but I have never had a problem before.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-11-09, 04:06 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds like someone before you used the the ground for a neutral to feed that receptacle and the second light, used the neutral for the switch leg for the second light and used the black for a constant hot.:bad poster: