help.. disaster

Old 02-03-09, 09:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help.. disaster

I bought my home a year ago it has a detached garage running off of a 50amp breaker from the main panel. The previous owner im guessing did not get a permit or had the garage inspected because there are two subpanels with 20 amp breakers and #14 wire running in the whole garage no GFCI's ..etc. I've been doing some research on some NEC codes and this is pretty much a wiring disater. I'm going to have to re-wire my 950sqft garage. Question....assuming the previous owner did not get a permit for this project or even for building the garage would i be facing fines or penalties

Old 02-04-09, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by jbhcky21 View Post
Question....assuming the previous owner did not get a permit for this project or even for building the garage would i be facing fines or penalties
You should not. However, you will need to pull the required permit in order to rewire the garage.

Old 02-04-09, 08:54 AM
B
When I tell electrical or building inspectors to "not look " at certain existing "not done to code things", they say... "I'm here just to look at the new work, not the old work!"

In other words, they are busy and only have time to inspect the new work you have done.

And if they see that you are working to make things safe, getting your work inspected, and bringing things up to code, they will think that is a good thing!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: