Using 1 leg of 480VAC for 220VAC equip

Old 02-07-09, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using 1 leg of 480VAC for 220VAC equip

Is there a way to use a leg of a 480VAC circuit to power a 220VAC portable plasma cutter. In a 440VAC enviroment it would be a non issue, however where I am it is 480VAC so each leg is 277VAC. Could I use some type of step down to achieve the required voltage?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-09, 12:35 PM
The voltage you descrbing this is a commeral voltage and this kind of situation it best be done by electrician to do this in safe manner.

The only correct way to do this from 480 volts down to 240 volts is use the transfomer.

If the load is very small you can use buck/boost transfomer { this part you have to becarefull }

However I rather do the real transfomer due the plamsa cutter can draw a bit of current.

again I will remind you get a qualifed electrician to do this.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-07-09, 01:32 PM
nap
Originally Posted by NoviceTrician View Post
Is there a way to use a leg of a 480VAC circuit to power a 220VAC portable plasma cutter. In a 440VAC enviroment it would be a non issue, however where I am it is 480VAC so each leg is 277VAC. Could I use some type of step down to achieve the required voltage?
440 environment? what is that?

actually, 440 used to be a standard nominal voltage rating in the US. It is no longer. We changed to 480 a long time ago.

It appears yo have a 480 wye supply.

You need to supply the machine with whatever it is rated. I haven't seen too many 220 volt rated machines in a very long time so humor me and tell me exactly what it has on the data plate for voltage.

Chances are, whatever you have, unless it is specifically rated for 277 or there about, you will need a transformer, as Marc suggested. and yes, I would stay away from a buck/boost transformer. They are generally for limited power requirements and honestly, you can probably buy a good used transformer for equal or less than a new buck/boost x-former.

make sure it is installed properly. I'm safe from here but you will be working with it so I would surely want to be sure it didn't kill me if I were you.

Old 02-07-09, 03:32 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Places I have seen with 480 (wye) generally have one or more center tapped 240v transformers for general single phase circuits. Or am I way off base here? If the plasma cutter is single phase wouldn't one of these circuits be his best bet if not maxed out?

Old 02-07-09, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Places I have seen with 480 (wye) generally have one or more center tapped 240v transformers for general single phase circuits. Or am I way off base here? If the plasma cutter is single phase wouldn't one of these circuits be his best bet if not maxed out?
I would be 100 % positive they would,
they have to have some general use receptacles.

A small transformer wouldn't be a huge expense either. I use to make little carts so I could use equipment anywhere in the plant.