4 way switch issue

Old 02-08-09, 08:00 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
4 way switch issue

I have a single four wall switch in between two three way switches in a hallway. I have replaced all three switches (they were previously dirty). I have discarded the old switches.

Right now, the light works but not from every switch every time. It seems as the four way switch controls which three way switch is working. For instance, if the four way switch is up, the second three way switch works. If the four way switch is done, the first three way switch works.

Right now for my 4- way, the top two (brown) go to one 3 way and the bottom two (brass) go to the other three way. Each side has one red and one black.

Any idea what the issue is?

Thanks

Old 02-08-09, 08:22 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It almost sounds like you may have a double pole switch. Never seen one that has different color screws, not to say it isn't just haven't seen it.

I'd try travelers on the sides, instead of top/bottom.

Old 02-08-09, 08:42 AM
M
Tried that.

Now, the switch will turn on from the 4 way and then at that point I can turn it off with either three way. However, if the 4 way is switched down, neither three way will turn it on.

Any ideas?

Old 02-08-09, 08:44 AM
W
Are you sure it's a 4-way switch and not a double pole switch?

Did the old 3-ways have a dark screw on them or were they real old to where it was just marked common?

Just to check, wirenut the blacks and reds at the 4 way location and test to see if the 3-ways work.

Old 02-08-09, 08:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 370 Votes on 320 Posts
Keep trying. You just have the travelers mixed up. Look to see which pair of wires come from which cables. Depending on the switch, you need to put one pair from one cable on the brown screws and one one the brass screws.

Or, you need to put one wire of each cable on the brown screws (one each screw) and one on the brass screws. (one each)

Old 02-08-09, 09:39 AM
M
I know the switch in the middle is a four way.

Seemly I've tried every combination at the four way? Is there any chance the problem is in one of the three ways?

I have began righting down combinations so that I can try each one.

Old 02-08-09, 09:41 AM
W
That's why I was saying in my previous post to wirenut the travelers in the 4 way location to check to see if the 3 ways are right. BA>BA, red>red. Make sure that works then rehook the 4way

Old 02-08-09, 10:49 AM
M
Ok neither three way switches worked with I wired the red and black together at the 4-way.

I am assuming that this is because one of the three ways is wrong.

Old 02-08-09, 10:53 AM
W
I know the old switches are "discarded" but can you get them and see if the "common" screw is in the same place vs. the old ones?
Also, what brand/model is your 4-way?

PS do you have any test equipment?

Last edited by wirenut1110; 02-08-09 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added ps
Old 02-08-09, 11:00 AM
W
What wires and where do you have the 3 ways connected?
Pictures would be sweeeeeet

Old 02-08-09, 11:00 AM
M
My first three way looks pretty normal. I have white, ground, black and red all coming from the same area. I have the black connected the common, the ground to the green and the white and red to the other two brass ones.

The second three way seems more irregular. The two whites are from differing sections are wirenutted together. I have also then have a black and a white wirenutted together. Finally two bare cooper wires are wirenutted together (I assume ground). I think have a black and a red wired to the switch (coming from the same area) and a black wired to the common (coming from a different area).

Old 02-08-09, 11:04 AM
W
cool, the white is the common on that first one, black and red are travelers leave the second one as is and see how that works. Don't do anything to the 2 whites tied together

Old 02-08-09, 11:15 AM
M
Super - that worked - now'll hook up the four way and should be good to go.

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-09, 11:22 AM
W
Yayyyyyyyyy

ok back to the grill

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: