limit to half size breakers

Old 02-08-09, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
limit to half size breakers

I have read that there is a limit to the number of half size breakers allows in on panel is that true...I figured you can add as many half size breakers as long as the load (amp) capacity does not exceed your main breaker or load limit.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 04:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Panels are designed to only accept a certain number of tandem breakers to remain at the 42 circuit code requirement.
If panels could take all tandems you could definitely run into an overload situation, as you could have 60-80 circuits.

Some manufacturers have tandem breakers that can be installed in a regular space but are listed "as replacement only" and are very expensive to discourage their use.

Best thing to do if you need more space, is to add a subpanel depending on the type load to be added.

Old 02-09-09, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
Just to add, some panels are not designed to accept any tandems.

Old 02-09-09, 10:17 AM
I want to change 4 110 breakers to half size type to make room for 2 regular size breakers to run a 220 10 amp compressor. I calculated my household electrical load it's at 69 amps.

Old 02-09-09, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
Panels are designed to only accept a certain number of tandem breakers to remain at the 42 circuit code requirement.
If panels could take all tandems you could definitely run into an overload situation, as you could have 60-80 circuits.

Some manufacturers have tandem breakers that can be installed in a regular space but are listed "as replacement only" and are very expensive to discourage their use.

Best thing to do if you need more space, is to add a subpanel depending on the type load to be added.

so in theory if I could connect 60-80 half size breakers and each circuit drew 1amp, what's the difference if I had only 1 circuit that drew 80 amps.
I plan the add half size breakers, since I have no room i my panel, I want to add a 220 compressor, it only draws 10 amps, my household load at this moment is 69 amps.

Old 02-09-09, 10:24 AM
Somewhere on your service panel should be a label that will tell you what type of breakers are approved for use with that particular panel. If tandem breakers are approved, I think it will also tell you where in the panel you can put them.

It doesn't matter what your house's load is - if tandems are not approved for your panel then they shouldn't be used.

Old 02-09-09, 10:26 AM
Step 1: Read all the information on the stickers inside your panel. They should tell you if, how many, and where you can use tandem breakers.

Step 2: If step 1 fails, tell us the manufacturer and model number of the panel and we can figure it out for you.

Old 02-09-09, 10:30 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
In your case, I would take 2 spaces that currently have like 15-20 amp circuits and get a tandem that 15-2020-15, or a 20-2020-20. These are actually 4 breakers in one with the 2 center breakers being 240/handle tied and the 2 outside breakers are single pole. Your plan will work also, if your panel accepts tandems
Depends on the panel manuf. I know Square D makes "quads"

Getting back to your theory, you won't find 1 amp breakers so they,ll be minimum 15 amp and it's assumed(I hate that word) that it will be used to it's max. 60-80X15

Worst case add a subpanel.

Old 02-09-09, 11:30 PM
the panel I have I never heard of Murray...

Old 02-09-09, 11:37 PM
I would like to add a subpanel, but I need to find room, the panel is full and i would like to change out the breakers to half size ones to add a panel. Someone told me to remove 2 breakers and backfeed it into the sub panel, but it seems a lot of work, I mean at this moment I only need to connect a air compressor 220 volt 10 amp, wheter I connect it to the main or sub, I am going to need 2 spaces, just a matter of what's easiest.

Old 02-10-09, 08:01 AM
This project has a feeling of randomness, guessing and bouncing around. There are right ways to do it, and wrong ways. Guessing doesn't help. Do it one of the right ways. Choosing a right way requires precise information, something completely lacking in this thread.