Programmable Thermostat wire melt

Old 02-09-09, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Programmable Thermostat wire melt

I recently installed a 240 volt double pole programmable thermostat (aube th115-a-240d). The wiring is new 12/2 20 amp breaker directly to the thermostat, then 12/2 to the heaters 1 (2500 watt) and another 1000 for a total of 3500 watts. The thermostat is rated 3600 watt, 15 amp. That is why I purchased 3500 watt total. The connections to the thermostat are line in, line out with the thermostat having braided wire (14/2). I have contacted the company and they indicate that everything should be within limits. I must have a loose connection(s). They gave me instructions on how to wire the braided to the copper... insert braided wire, then copper, then twist cap. The actual wires should not twist when I make the connection. Even though when I installed the thermostat I made sure the connections felt tight. Is this worth another try or am I too close to the limits. I checked the voltage at the fuse box and it is about 238 volts. Any suggestions before reinstalling a new one with the same rating?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-09, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
You are fairly close to the max rating of the stat which may be the cause as well. Where did the melting occur? That would be an indication of where the poor connection would be. Was it under the wire nut or more closer to the stat itself? You may have had a bad stat too. You could just try again with a new one of the same rating or getting one with a higher rating might be a good idea. When you connect the wires give each one a tug to make sure you have a good connection.