Wiring A Well Pump to a Generator

Old 02-08-09, 08:29 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring A Well Pump to a Generator

Hi,
I know there are previous threads on this topic, but none that answer my particular question. I want to run a Franklin Electric 1/2 HP 220V well pump with a 5600 (8600 surge) portable generator (not currently grounded). I don't want to backfeed the house so I put in an L6-30P on the line to the well control (Hot, Hot, Ground) and that is connected to a L6-30R going to the panel. Everything works fine to this point. When I put a volt sensor to the on the wires from the control, both hots have current and the ground does not. This is true whether the pump is running or not.
I made a 10/3 SOOW cable with an L6-30R on one end and a L14-30P on the other. The hots and ground are connected respectively and there's nothing on the neutral terminal of the L14-30P (I've read conflicting accounts on whether this is correct or not...some say to connect the neutral AND the ground on the generator to the ground wire going to the pump control).
To test it I turn off the breaker going to the pump control, unplug the pump control from the house wiring and plug it into the generator cable. When the pump isn't running, a volt sensor on the wires from the control shows both hots have current and the ground does not. However, when the pump kicks on my volt sensor shows the ground gets current and one hot loses it. Even the generator chassis shows a hot reading. Before I shut everything down I was able to tell pump worked perfectly and started and shut off when it was supposed to. I just didn't want to do anything else to risk cooking me, the pump, or the generator.
I've double and triple checked all the plugs and receptacles I made and checked all the wiring in the new and existing circuits and I don't think anything's wired wrong.
Does anyone see anything wrong with the current set-up? Does the neutral at the generator need to be tied to the ground for the pump to work properly (like it is in the main breaker panel)? According to the generator owner's manual "The system ground is connected to the AC neutral wire (the neutral is bonded to the generator frame)".

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-08-09, 09:26 AM
B
What is a "voltsensor"?

I would use a voltmeter myself.

Basically use a voltmeter with the breaker on and measure the connections on the breaker panel outlet (pump unplugged). Ground to hot, ground to other hot, and hot to hot.

Then plug the extension cord into the generator and with generator running, measure the connections on the extension cord outlet (pump unplugged). Ground to hot, ground to other hot, and hot to hot. Use a voltmeter.

Are these the same?

Does the pump run ok on the generator?

Then if above is ok, install two ground rods placed 6 ft. apart and ground the generator. Now does your "voltsensor" work the same as with the breaker connection?

What you have with the these measurements is a "reference" to ground. The circuit breaker panel is "grounded" and at that "potential". The generator wiring is "floating" and not tied to ground.

Lets say I am flying a kite, am standing on the ground, and am holding the string. One end of the kite is attached to the ground via me!

Let's say I let go of the string. Then the entire kite and string is "floating" in the air and not in any way attached to the ground.

So when measuring voltages. The question is what are you measuring the voltage in relation to????

Old 02-10-09, 06:31 AM
S
Thanks for the reply. The volt non-contact sensor is a Sperry product that just detects current in bare or insulated lines without giving a value.

Using a multimeter I checked the 3-wire plug going to the panel and read apx 240 between the hots and apx 120 between each hot and the ground. The same is true for the 3-wire cable I made going to the generator so I'm pretty comfortable with the wiring.

The only two variables I can think of is 1) the grounding of the generator and 2) if the neutral terminal has to come into play.

I always assumed grounding was strictly a safety feature and not a requirement for the electrical system to function as a whole. The generator will always be in the same place so I'll install a ground system and check again. Thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: