help, why does circuit breaker keep jumping?

Old 02-10-09, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question help, why does circuit breaker keep jumping?

I recently had a Hunter ceiling fan installed in my master bedroom. I also bought a 12 amp hoover deep clean carpet cleaner, I plugged it in (no other outlets in use in the room) and the breaker jumped. I turned off the ceiling fan and tried it again and AGAIN the circuit breaker jumped. I tried it again without the ceiling fan or light on, and Once again, the circuit breaker jumped. I already vacuumed the living room with the vacuum (the lcd TV was on and the light and ceiling fan was on too) and nothing went wrong. I dont understand why the circuit breaker jumps in my bedroom. I vacuumed the hallway outside my bedroom and it went perfectly. Does anyone have a clue what could be going on? (the ceiling fan taking too much energy or maybe it was wired wrong)

Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-09, 09:33 PM
"Jumped" is certainly an unusual word to describe a breaker tripping. But I guess we know what you mean.

The first thing to do is figure out what all is on that circuit. It may not be (and probably is not) confined to just the master bedroom. You probably should map out what's on all the circuits in your house. Every light, appliance and receptacle should be traced to one of your breakers. It's an easy Saturday afternoon project with a helper.

Ceiling fans take up very little power. The lights on a typical ceiling fan use more power than the motor.

Old 02-11-09, 08:59 AM
John N,

Just want to give you a head up I am pretty sure the OP may refering to the AFCI breaker due it only affected in the bedroom circuit.

To readers here.,

Some of the AFCI breakers are senstive to some type of motor load and yes even I get confirmed details from two breaker manufacters about this situation.

And they are working on the situation and seems getting better now.

TO OP;

What brand breaker it have in there and if have AFCI breaker look at what colour test button myself or other electrician members can able confirmed if you have early style or later style type of AFCI breaker.

Merci,Marc