Could My Breaker Be Bad?

Old 02-11-09, 04:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Could My Breaker Be Bad?

Here is my problem.

We have a new A/C Heating unit on our house (about 2 years old) and it is "all" electric. During the summer time it gets a little loud while cooling the house, (kind of a rumbling sound when you're in the house) but it seems to work fine but, this winter for some reason the breaker has been tripping (maybe it was made in the 60's) so I have to go out and re-set the breaker not just in the mddle of the night but it will sometimes do it during the day.

A friend at my church who is in the HVAC buisness said iy might be loose wiring but I haven't messed with any wiring in my panel.

I know he could be right but, could my breaker (which is 220) possibly be weak or gotten weak?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 05:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it is mounted outside, it could have succumbed to the elements. Turn off the breaker in the house and change the breaker out. One better, if you have a breaker in the house, just install an unfused disconnect in place of the breaker box. It won't trip, but will give the service personnel a place to disconnect the service as required by code. As far as the noise, make sure the unit is sitting solidly on the base. You may need to shim it with cedar shims to keep the housing from rattling.
Likewise if it is a new unit, it should be under warranty, so have the original installer come back and rectify the noise item and check to make sure there is no overload in the unit.

Old 02-11-09, 05:13 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Is it a breaker for the air handler or the condenser?

You can try replacing the breaker, but I have a feeling that's not the problem.

What size is the breaker? If available, look on your air handler data plate and see if they checked which heat package they installed, or in the paperwork they gave you when it was installed. This will give you the minimum and max circuit sizes.

I have a feeling they installed a slightly larger heat package in your AHU, re-used the existing circuit, as cold as it's been it's kicking on all the stages and it's overloading the circuit.

Just a gut feeling.