Jumpering off the load side of a GFCI outlet?

Old 02-11-09, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jumpering off the load side of a GFCI outlet?

Here is what I want to do in my master bathroom.

I have an existing GFCI outlet that provides protection to that outlet in the master bathroom as well as to a separate outlet the 2nd bathroom. What I want to do is extend the circuit from this outlet to feed a light fixture near the bathtub. I've been informed that the electrical code requires any light fixture within 6 feet of a bathtub or shower to be GCFI protected.

Is it ok to run a pigtail from the load side of the GFCI outlet to a wall switch and then run wire to the light fixture itself? Is this configuration up to code? Is there another way to do this?

-RR

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No, not really, code requires bath receptacles to feed only bath receptacles, not lighting circuits. The only time you put lights on that circuit is if that circuit only feeds that bathroom.

Old 02-11-09, 04:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 28 Posts
Where did you hear about the need for the GFI protection for the lighting?

Old 02-11-09, 06:05 PM
Are you in the United States?

For best advice, please fill in the location field of your profile.

Old 02-12-09, 07:19 AM
My assumption for needing GFI protection for lighting was based upon the review of installation instructions. I have found text similar to this: "If this fixture is located above or near a tub or shower, it must be marked as appropriate for the application and be connected to a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) protected circuit." I remember this from the last time I replaced a bathroom exhaust fan.

In the current situation, the light fixture would be 3 to 4 feet away from the leading edge of the tub/shower combo.

Old 02-12-09, 08:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no code rule regarding GFI protection for lighting near or over a tub, unless specified in the installation instructions. The fixtures do need to be 'damp rated' over the tub.

You are correct about the exhaust fan requiring GFI protection when over a shower or tub as it is required in the installation instructions.

Old 02-12-09, 09:31 AM
Somehow you translated "near" into "6 feet". That translation was unsupported. If the manufacturer did not quantify "near", then I would consider 3 to 4 feet as "not near".

If you do put this on GFCI, you may (or may not) need to use a dead-front GFCI to avoid code issues (depending on what else is on the circuit).

Old 02-12-09, 09:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since the circuit serves more than one bathroom adding the lighting load is not Code compliant and should not be added.

Old 02-12-09, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Code can be kind of interesting sometimes. Hard to figure if they are trying to protect you or not. Or have other more important agendas.

Didn't they consider someone might decide to take a shower (maybe drunk) and change out the lightbulb at the same time -maybe even a broken bulb that needs extraction from socket?

Why have the rule for a bathfan, but not for a light?