Power Distro

Old 02-11-09, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Power Distro

I have a small power distro for sound equipment. I would like to run one cable from my power distro into another box filled with amplifiers for pro sound. I would be running one wire from a 220 breaker in my power distro the problem is the other side of the wire, the side the should power my amplifier box. I need to power several 110 recepticals from a single 220v cable run. Is this possible and how would the connections go. I need 8 recepticles?

All of the equipment is digital and has its own power sensing feature and takes up about 12amps per amplifer. I also use 4 wire insulated cable in all my other runs to avoid ground loop noises.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 02:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
To power several 120V circuits from a single 240V feeder, you'll need to use a subpanel with a 15A or 20A breaker for each amplifier circuit. If you're planning to power eight amplifiers, each at 12A (1440W) you will need a 240V subpanel which is capable of supplying at least 60A (14400W) accounting for 125% overage. You will also need an upstream panel with 60A of spare capacity.

Is this project built-in or portable? Is it for home use or public exhibition? Both of these constraints will affect what types of materials you can use.

Four-wire feeders (hot-hot-neutral-ground) are mandatory for all subpanels. Three-wire circuits (hot-neutral-ground) supply 120V loads.

Old 02-11-09, 04:22 PM
what kind of PD connections and outputs do you have available to feed the amp rack? Are the breakers wired to twist-lock receptacles? What are your amperages of the 2-pole breakers?

Is the PD fed by cams, and does it power other stuff as well?

The best (most typical) setup would be to have 1 or 2 Motion Labs Rac Pacs as your distribution point within the amp rack.

Motion Labs - Power distribution and motor control systems

there are plenty of options for different cable configurations, etc. What cable and connectors do you already have and plan to use?

Old 02-12-09, 09:12 AM
on my power distro i have a 60 amp 220 breaker for amplifiers. Also my amps are capable of running on 220 or 110 but the power connection into the amp is a c13 or 14 not sure which one but they are capable of 110 or 220