rigging up wiring for my welding machine

Old 02-11-09, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rigging up wiring for my welding machine

When i bought my home it came with only the gas hook-up for the dryer. Recently I purchased an electric dryer. I succesfully ran 220v through metal conduit to the area for my dryer. When I hooked up the power cord from the dryer to the receptacle I opted for the three prong set-up(instead of the four). The receptacle I purchased also had three female slots (two hots to the breaker and one to the neutral bar on the light panel). I just purchased a Miller CST280 welding machine for my garage. The machine itself has a switch to run on 220v. The power cord running from the machine has four wires though( black, red, white, and green) and thus has a four prong connection. I want to run the machine in my garage fifty yards away using a self fabricated extension cord. If I swap out the receptacle the dryer is hooked up to to a compatible four prong receptacle and switch the wiring hook-up from the dryer toa four wire 220v hook up, could i run the welder out of the same receptacle?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-09, 11:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
First the way you ran the 240 for the dryer is a code violation. All new dryer installation must be 4 wire. It would be best to correct that first. If you ran metal conduit then you could skip the fourth wire and use the conduit for ground assuming you used a metal box for the receptacle. Some though would suggest adding a fourth wire. The dryer must be converted to four wire and the bonding connection between neutral and chassis removed..

It would not be a good idea to make a 150 foot extension cord and the cost of 4 conductor #8 SO cable would be very expensive. Much better to run a new line just for the welder. #10 can be used on a 30 amp breaker but at 150 feet the voltage drop would be a factor to consider. if your welder runs close to 30a thus you may need #8. If your welder draws significantly less then 30a it shouldn't be on a 30 amp circuit.

Old 02-12-09, 04:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
And I would imagine your welder has a 50 amp requirement, maybe not. Just something to check out. A new circuit is definitely a plus for this length of run, in cost and in voltage drop in an extension cord set up as Ray stated.

Old 02-12-09, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
welding machine wiring

Ok, so if I switch out the three wire connection for a four wire connection, the only things I would have to do is 1. buy a four prong connection for the dryer. 2.Buy a compatible four prong receptacle. 3. Run a length of green wire through the exsisting conduit. 4. make the necessary connections using the 4 wires( the two hot{black wires} to the breaker, the white to the neutral bar and terminal on the receptacle, and the green to ground in the panel box and to the ground connection in the receptacle. After this the dryer itself should be up to code, correct?
Now about the welder. If I cut out the extension cord by using extra lead from machine to my garage, then I would only have to connect the machine right at the receptacle. Then I wouldn't experience such a loss with running all the current through the extension cord right? I plan on having a seperate 220v line ran to my garage in the future but, to do that I would have to run iit underground to my garage. It would be alot easier to dig that up in the summer time when the ground is thawed. For now though it should work just off the dryer receptacle, correct? I am not running alot just maybe an hour or two a day.

Old 02-12-09, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by frankgonzalez View Post
For now though it should work just off the dryer receptacle, correct? I am not running alot just maybe an hour or two a day.
Yeah it would work with an 8/3 cord, but you're looking at least $3 per foot for the cord. I'm also not sure that the 30A breaker on the dryer circuit is sufficient for the welder. If you keep the welding amps turned down, it will probably be okay but if you get up into the max output of that machine it will trip the 30A breaker.