Junction connector

Old 02-12-09, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Junction connector

I looked in a friends meter box, It has two 100 amp tandem main breakers. 1 100 amp tandem breaker feeds the main panel for the downstairs electrical. The other tandem breaker is connected to a pair of white junction connectors with #2 wires. There are 2 #2 wires each then feeding 2 different panels. 1 for downstairs and 1 for the main ac...My question is is this legal??? I thought there could only be 1 panel connected to a breaker, or is it only 1 wire per main breaker screw, also what's that part called??...sorry pretty confusing to explain the wiring.. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 05:20 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No, it doesn't sound right. If I get what you're saying, they have tapped 2 circuits off of one 100 amp breaker(subpanel &a/c)

This is a paralleled circuit and needs to be a minimum of 1/0.
This pretty much sounds like a jack-legged install. Obviously not inspected.

I'm assuming the HVAC people did this, it was probably 2-100 amp panels in the beginning so they should have run the condenser off of one panel and the air handler off the other, or installed a 200 amp feed through and put a 200 amp main lug panel where one of the 100 amp panels were that would be closest to the a/c equipment, then put a 100 amp breaker in main 200 amp panel for the other subpanel. Hope this doesn't sound confusing.

When you say "white junction connectors" are you talking about these? If so, I call them tap blocks

Old 02-13-09, 05:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kumai View Post
The other tandem breaker is connected to a pair of white junction connectors with #2 wires.
These white things, are they more silver? Maybe aluminum? There are double lugs that you can install that allows two wires but you will see two screw heads. You are correct, you may have only one wire under one screw. (except for grounds)

Old 02-13-09, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so what are the tap block used for. I would think it's to run a parallel circuit as to 1 main breaker and 2 panels. I mean it accepts large gauge wires so I figured it's for a main power source

Old 02-14-09, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 59 Posts
If the wire is sized correctly for the breaker (ex: #3 copper for 100 amps) than you may tap off as many panels you want. (again, as long as there is only one wire per one screw) Although it may not make much sense to do so because all the panels would be limited to 100 amps combined by the breaker.

Tap blocks (The one pictured) are mostly used to splice large wire.