Utility bill concerns.

Old 02-13-09, 01:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Utility bill concerns.

Ok guys I think my Utilities company is cheating me! Sometime last year they installed the new meter around may and it was used for approxiamtely atleast 6 months.

So last week or whenever went to the utilities they said that there was a BUNCH OF HOURS unpaid????????????????

So I said HUH??????? It turns out "the usage was more than what the meter was showing" In other words the meter malfunctioned and Now they want me to pay them ALOT of Money! I mean a whole lot.

Isnt there a way to get out from having to pay it? Their meter showed specific numbers so shouldnt we only be liable for what the meter showed electronically to the company?

Come on Electricians! Tell me Im right and that were not liable for the "other usage"

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 04:59 AM
W
Usually when a meter fails, the POCO goes back to the same month last year (if available) and uses that as a representative value. Is that what they did? Is the amount unreasonable?

Old 02-13-09, 08:09 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 43 Votes on 41 Posts
The laws on this vary from state to state, so you'll have to check with your state regulator. In Michigan, it's called the public service commission but other names like public utilities commission are in different states.

There is usually a well defined procedure as to what they can charge when a meter fails. Sometimes it involves looking at previous years' usage with some correction factor for inflation and daily average temperature. Sometimes they can base it on the average usage of a home your size, etc.

Their meter showed specific numbers so shouldnt we only be liable for what the meter showed electronically to the company?
Not necessarily. It sort of like when the grocery store accidentally prints a coupon for 10 dollars off instead of 10 cents off -- as long as they issue a correction for the typo, they don't have to honor it.

Did you have unusually low bills for a period of time?

Old 02-14-09, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If they had overbilled you would you want the overage refunded to you?

Old 02-15-09, 01:34 AM
J
According to the electric company, theres a additional bill
for $850!

Last months bill was paid and they said that the NEW Digital Meter malfunction and that they was under charging us.

When Digital Meter malfunction, "It showed that the House was using more electricity than what the meter read"

The utility said that "It has a 2 places that reads the usage"
"The incoming usage" and the "Out going usage"

So today I picked up a paper and read where these New Meters are read "everyday"! So this is what im thinking. If these meter has 2 places that measure the usage, then wouldnt the company picked up on that after day 1??????????

You think they would see that this house uses 90KWH and the meter was sending a signal saying to them that we was using
40KWH. So apparently my bill was low and didnt know because I thought it was right. So my questions is........
Did they now on said day which ever day that may be over the last 9 months that the meter tore up???????
And if they did that means they were being neglegent! Which means I shouldnt have to pay the other bill???????????

Old 02-15-09, 07:33 AM
A
Originally Posted by john125 View Post
Did they now on said day which ever day that may be over the last 9 months that the meter tore up???????
And if they did that means they were being neglegent! Which means I shouldnt have to pay the other bill???????????
You need facts first. Your conclusions about who is responsible for what are premature.

Get an explanation from the utility or the public utilities commission about how the estimation is done when they find a faulty meter.

Your state will have a process to follow and a way to file a complaint and get a ruling. You need facts first, then you work on who's responsible.

Whatever you do, do not take it out on the utility call center staff or the PUC staff. Ultimately you need their help to resolve the problem and that will be easier if they are your friends instead of your enemies. If the situation becomes adversarial, you will be better off with the state or another neutral advocate on your side.

Today, figure out who to call, stay calm, and get on the phone on Monday. Good luck.

Old 02-15-09, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What Arg said....

It hasn't been answered yet though...did you notice your bills were unusually low? People always jump on a high bill...but never seem to mention any possible problems when its low.

If you are calm and get all the facts and figures...they may waive a good portion of it.

Really though...if you did in fact use it...shouldn't you be responsible for paying for it? At least the actual electric charge... you may be able to get the delivery and fees taken off. And I'm sure they will work w/ you on payments for any amounts remaining.

Old 02-15-09, 07:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Negligent means they would have willfully and knowingly installed a defective meter....

I will rename the thread title to more appropriately describe your issue.

Old 02-15-09, 06:50 PM
W

No, it just means the meter didn't work.
And if you used the energy, you should pay for it.
So I ask again.....is the usage they are attributing to you representative of your normal usage for that time of year?

You think they would see that this house uses 90KWH and the meter was sending a signal saying to them that we was using 40KWH.
Sounds to me like you knew what your bill should be and were happy for the last few months getting a smaller bill. Wonder why you didn't scream negligence then?

What goes around comes around.