120 Vac and +12 Vdc in Same 2' EMT Rule

Old 02-13-09, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
120 Vac and +12 Vdc in Same 2' EMT Rule

I installed a 2' long piece of EMT between a new Transfer Switch, located in my garage, and the ceiling 2' above it. There is an attic space over the garage. I need to run a piece of 18/2 thermostat wire from inside the switch, thru the attic over to the air handler to do a heat interlock funtion. Is it permissible to also use this same piece of 1/2" EMT to run a new 12/2 with ground nm cable to a new duplex receptable for a freezer located on the other side of the garage? I guess my question is runing a short piece of protective EMT with one nm cable and one plenum rated low voltage cable for the 2 foot protective run.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
"Technically" you can't, unless the wires are equal
voltage rating. NM is rated 600 volts and most tstat wire is 300(I think) But I'm not gonna say it would be too big of a deal to do it

Generac says we have to run control and power separately but when you get a pre-packaged system they do it...hmmm

Old 02-13-09, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I'll check the tstat wire rating but I think you are correct about the 300 volts. I do remember that there is an exception about running different voltage wire in conduit and something about 30 feet or less. I do not have access to the NEC book anymore so I have to do things from memory.
Again, thanks for the continuing help and support.

Mark