Why are my duplex outlets wired this way?

Old 02-13-09, 11:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why are my duplex outlets wired this way?

I'm replacing some duplex outlets, and all of the ones I've done so far have two pairs of hot/neutral wires coming into the box. Both sets are connected to the same breaker circuit. One pair is wired to the top set of screws, the other set is wired to the bottom set of screws. However... the tabs on the outlets are not broken off.

It seems these outlets have redundant wiring, which leaves me wondering: Is this a common way to wire a house, and if so, why?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 12:44 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
How did you determine both sets are hot? You didn;t use one of those non-contact testers did you?

Old 02-14-09, 04:20 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That should be the way they are wired. They are "daisy chained" like that in order to continue the circuit.

If the tabs are broken then receptacles downstream wouldn't be getting any power. The only time tabs are broken is with a multi-wire branch circuit(should be on a double pole breaker now) or an SCR(switch controlled receptacle)

The only ones with 1 set of conductors in them will be the last one on the circuit.

Old 02-14-09, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the replies, that clears things up considerably. I had assumed the wires were parallel coming from the breaker, but they are daisy-chained instead.

Is there any common practice for connecting the wires, eg. upstream to the top screws, downstream to the bottom screws? Not that I would depend on that to determine what is hot and what isn't... but if there's a common practice, I'd like to follow it.

Old 02-14-09, 09:54 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
first, the receptacles are still in parallel even though their sequence is one after the other, daisy chain.

second is I like to wirenut my incoming and outgoing together with a pigtail over to the receptacle. Any issues with the screw connections or the tabs and it only affects that one receptacle, rather than everything down line. If you think about how many connections something plugged into that last outlet has to go through, it makes sense to use as few as possible. Opinions vary

Bud

Old 02-14-09, 12:41 PM
Is there any common practice for connecting the wires, eg. upstream to the top screws, downstream to the bottom screws?
No. Most of the time the person connecting up the receptacle doesn't even know or care which is which.