Bathroom Switch Placement Advice

Old 02-14-09, 08:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Switch Placement Advice

I am remodeling a bathroom and need some advice with switch placement. There are four things that need switches.
1. Bathroom Lights (on their own circuit)
2. Bath exhaust fan (on existing circuit)
3. Shower light ( on existing gfi circuit, Doesn't have to be gfi because its sealed but I want it gfi.)
4. built in heater (located in exhaust fan on dedicated 20amp cir.)

There will also be a dedicated 20 amp Gfic near the sink but I didn't put that in the diagram.

bathswitches on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I was going to put everthing at location A but am thinking of doing this way. It seemed weird to have four switches right as you walk in a bathroom.

Lights = A
Exhaust and heater = C
Shower lite = B

What do you folks think, I was suprised that you can put switches so close to the stool, But inspector says ok.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-09, 09:01 AM
How about if you eliminate C, Use a double gang box for B and hook the exhaust and shower light on the same switch and another switch for the heat?

Old 02-14-09, 09:16 AM
That isn't a half bad idea, The only problem would be is I probably will put the fan on a timer switch, and if you just need it as a fart fan the shower light coming on might be strange. But it is a good idea.

Old 02-14-09, 01:03 PM
You didn't ask about codes, but if you haven't already studied up on them, please do so before you start. The kitchen and bathroom are the two most electrically regulated rooms in your house. There's virtually no way to accidentally get all the codes right without studying. If you need a pointer, get the inexpensive green paperback Wiring Simplified, available at all home centers (often in the electrical aisle) for under $8.

Old 02-14-09, 03:50 PM
John Nelson is right on target as useal Beer 4U2.,,

However let me add more to John's comment.

If you have combation fan and heater you will need to double check the specs on the heater/ fan comb { yes there is fan / heater / light unit aviable }

typically the heater useally it own circuit so check it out before you start do any wiring so that way it will save some of your headache in first place.

Most heater / fan do come in two diffrent verison a heat lamp fan unit or standard heater with fan unit if latter you will need to run a seperated circuit { I am pretty sure the manufacter instruction will stated that in the installment sheet }

Merci,Marc

Old 02-14-09, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Civicminded View Post
That isn't a half bad idea, The only problem would be is I probably will put the fan on a timer switch, and if you just need it as a fart fan the shower light coming on might be strange. But it is a good idea.
First off I applaud you for sweating the small things. You will probably be glad you deliberated about this now instead of deciding later that you wanted to re-do it.

I would probably do separate switches for each item. As previously mentioned there are going to be times when you want the heater on, the fan off, the lights off and the fan on and so on.

Or, I would recommend the EFI Fan/Light Time Delay Switch. It keeps the fan on for something like 5-60 minutes after you flip the switch off. It sounds like this config might require changing your fan's power source.

EFI Consumer Division's Residential Catalogue | EFI Fan/Light Time Delay Switch

In my world, a 3- or 4-gang at the door would be great. Just put the switches in a logical order.

From the door frame, arrangement #1:
1. Room light
2. Shower light
3. Fan
4. Heater timer

Arrangement #2:
1. Room light + Fan delay
2. Shower light
3. Heater timer

Arrangement #3:
1. Room light
2. Shower light + Fan delay
3. Heater timer

Last is my favorite, I think: Arrangement #4 puts the shower and heater switches closer to the shower door, so you can turn the heater on when you get out of the shower. The fan control stays by the door so you can turn it on or off without going all the way in the bathroom. Of course, when you sit on the throne and later realize the fan isn't on, you would be wishing you had the combo delay switch:
Box A
Room light & fan (Separate or on combo delay switch)

Box B
Shower light
Heater timer

Eliminate Box C.

OK, postscripts: You could put in a 3-way circuit for the fan and have one switch by the throne. Also consider a fan speed control if you're not doing 3-way switches. This might require an additional gang space.

Old 02-14-09, 07:30 PM
The bathroom will actually be on 4 different circuits once its all done, It was originally only on one circuit shared with outdoor recepticals.

Circuits
1- Existing gfi circuit will have exhaust fan and shower light on it
2- new 20amp dedicated for gfi by sink
3- new 15 amp non gfi dedicated light circuit for bathroom
4- new dedicated 20 amp circuit for heater.

Inspector says its ok to put switch by stool, it just cannot be inside a wet area, He said some areas require 60'' distance between switches and tubs. Not here, although he said it may be a requirement in the future.

Originally Posted by french277V View Post
John Nelson is right on target as useal Beer 4U2.,,

However let me add more to John's comment.

If you have combation fan and heater you will need to double check the specs on the heater/ fan comb { yes there is fan / heater / light unit aviable }

typically the heater useally it own circuit so check it out before you start do any wiring so that way it will save some of your headache in first place.

Most heater / fan do come in two diffrent verison a heat lamp fan unit or standard heater with fan unit if latter you will need to run a seperated circuit { I am pretty sure the manufacter instruction will stated that in the installment sheet }

Merci,Marc

Old 02-14-09, 07:34 PM
I like the 3 way switch idea, that way you can turn it on when you really need it if you are on the stool, It has been a hard decision on these switches. It would be easier if they had to be 60'' from the tub, because then they almost would have been by the door. We might put a three gang by the door and have The main lights, fan, and then on a duplex switch heater and shower light. I figure we might as well get it right...
Thanks the ideas are helping much!

[QUOTE=ArgMeMatey;1522486]First off I applaud you for sweating the small things. You will probably be glad you deliberated about this now instead of deciding later that you wanted to re-do it.