3 way switch issue

Old 02-15-09, 03:05 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch issue

I have a 3 way switch issue I think.

I have the circuit working properly with power coming in to the first 3 way switch then going to the second and then to some track lights. I have the white wirenutted directly all the way through the circuit. I couldn't figure out why the lights weren't coming on. In order to make it work I had to connect the white wire and the ground together coming from the track light to the ground on the circuit. Then it lights and the switches work fine. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work with white to white, ground to ground and black to black.

Is this an issue to leave it like this or do I have another problem?

Old 02-15-09, 03:19 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Do you have a 3-wire w/ground going in between the switches?

Are you sure that white wire is a neutral?

Old 02-15-09, 03:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
In order to make it work I had to connect the white wire and the ground together coming from the track light to the ground on the circuit. Then it lights and the switches work fine. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work with white to white, ground to ground and black to black.

Is this an issue to leave it like this or do I have another problem?
Except for the possibility of injury or death it is not an issue. You have created a major safety issue. Disconnect the white wire from the ground ASAP.

At the first switch do you have the white wire of the two conductor power in connected to the white of the three conductor power out? At the second switch do you have the three conductor cable white connected to the white of the two conductor cable to the light?

At the first light the black of power in from two conductor goes to common (odd colored screw. At the second switch black of the two conductor cable to the light goes to common. The black and red of the three conductor cables go to the travelers (the two like colored screws) on each switch. Grounds ate tied together and pigtailed to the switches. (If metal switch box a second ground pigtail to the box.)

Old 02-15-09, 03:33 PM
W
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Based on your wiring, it should be exactly like this:

Old 02-15-09, 05:08 PM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I figured it out. There was a lose connection on the white wires where the live connection came into the first switch box.

Thanks for all the replys. My wiring is exactly like the picture you submitted wirenut.

Old 02-15-09, 05:13 PM
F
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I am glad it workout good for you and found the cuprit and got it fix and thanks for letting us know about it.

If you have any other issue or any kind of question please do get ahold of us we will be more than glad to help ya.

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: