Subpanel Question

Old 02-15-09, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Subpanel Question

I have a detached building in back of my home. In the main house service panel there is a dual pole 70A curcuit breaker that supplies the detached building. The subpanel in the building has Stab Lok breakers and so I want to replace it.

Coming into the panel from the main house are two black
2awg wires, a green 8awg wire, and an 8awg black wire with white stripe. The two black 2awg wires go to the bars into which the breakers are plugged. The green 8awg wire goes to a screw down that is simply attached to the frame of the box. The 8awg black wire with white stripe goes to the single bus bar. Also coming from the bus bar is a thick copper wire that is attached to the cold water supply pipe.

My confusion and question: Looking in the Home Depot wiring book, it says that subpanels have two bus pars and that the ground should go to one and the neutral to the other. Clearly, the one I have now is not so wired, but more confusing is the fact that all the panels I look at -- generally labeled something like 100A Main Lug Interior, only have one bus bar.

What am I missing? Thanks in adavance for any input.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-09, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The ground bar needs to be purchased separately and installed in the panel. They usually have pre-drilled holes to mount this.

That's one thing I never understood is, when you buy a main breaker panel, they include the ground bar but 9 out od 10 times you bond these together, and they don't provide it with a main lug panel and 9 out of 10 times you need it.

Old 02-15-09, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That is strange...

Originally Posted by wirenut1110 View Post
The ground bar needs to be purchased separately and installed in the panel. They usually have pre-drilled holes to mount this.

That's one thing I never understood is, when you buy a main breaker panel, they include the ground bar but 9 out od 10 times you bond these together, and they don't provide it with a main lug panel and 9 out of 10 times you need it.
That explains it though. Thank you for your prompt reply.