replacing knob and tube wiring

Old 02-16-09, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replacing knob and tube wiring

I'm going to be replacing the K&T wiring that goes to the second floor and first floor ceilings. All the easily reached wires to the basement and first floor have been replaced with 14/2 copper wire. Now the fun starts, replacing wiring between wall cavities and ceiling cavities.
My question is, was the K&T wiring in the ceilings anchored to the joists between the first and second floors, or will it pull freely when I attach the new wire to it and pull. Just looking for a heads up as I will soon find out and am not looking forward to breaking through any ornate plaster ceilings.
Thanks Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-09, 07:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Sorry, the knobs clamp down pretty good and the tubes are pretty tight on the wires. I think you will have a tough time using the old wire for a pull wire. Maybe if you give them a jerk the porcelain will break. Maybe.

A lot of time in older homes you can drop some jack chain or a heavy nut on a string along side the main plumbing stack. They cut the holes pretty big back then. That may get you to the basement.

Old 02-16-09, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the response, my main concern is the first floor ceilings if the old wiring going to the lights is attached to the ceiling joists or not as this may require ruining some fancy plasterwork. Getting the wiring to the attic from the basement is not a problem in this case. Thanks again Steve

Old 02-16-09, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
It would be easier to abandon in place and just fish the new cables in place...

Old 02-17-09, 03:15 PM
I agree, tough. I replaced all of my receptacles with new 12/2 wire. The knob and tube in my wall cavaties were anchored by the porcelin and no way to use it as a pull wire. Just blow some holes in the plaster and fix her up!

Old 02-17-09, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the replies, I suppose I'll find out soon enough when I get some free time and I'll let you know . I will also go with the 12/2 wire. Steve

Old 02-17-09, 06:37 PM
Buy plenty noticed that 12/2 copper is about 25 bucks cheaper on a 100 ft spool, when I did it last spring.

Old 02-19-09, 09:13 AM
Will check into the larger role of wire and the price of copper is less than half of what is was last spring so maybe now is the time to invest in a few roles as it keeps well. Take care Steve

Old 02-22-09, 05:31 PM
Had to leave the old wire in place and fish new cables into the joist cavities for the ceiling lights. The wires that ran up the stud spaces were not attached so they were easily removed.