breaker design

Old 02-22-09, 03:52 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
breaker design

Have a square d electric service box in the house, only numbers I can find on it are K2467462, there is a number for the front assembly A40505-538-50. I would like to change some of the breakers, the air, stove and water heater are all single throw style but most of the wall recepticles and lighting are double throw style, single breaker but there is a switch on the left and the right side (most are 15 amp). Anyone have any idea what breakers these are so I can search for some replacements? Any help will be appreciated. These boxes I assume commone or where common in double wide mobile homes.

Old 02-22-09, 04:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Look on the door at the top and you will see a designation chart. Most likely you will see the terms QO, which is the type breaker. All breakers are single throw, either on or off (trip to middle). The 240 volt circuits are double breakers while the 120 volt circuits are single breakers. You may have stacked breakers, which controls two circuits independently. Why do you think you need to change the breakers? From your questions, I don't think it would benefit you to do this, as you can get hurt real bad if you don't take certain precautions. For the most part, breakers are there for life (or a very long time, anyway), so we would be interested to know why the change is needed.

Old 02-22-09, 07:22 AM
D
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
breaker response

Chandler: One reason is that I was told that over time breakers can weaken, particularly those one might turn on and off seasonallly. This issue that sparked this is that the air breaker (in Florida they are air and heat)), once in a while and only really noticed it when the heat was on, the breaker would trip. Heater always works fine, air always works fine but just once in a while that breaker will trip. It was then I was told that breakers can weaken over time especially when it is one that might be turned on and off seasonally. Sounded reasonable, I just never looked at a breaker as a "forever" item. So, since they are 30 years old, I just thought it would be nice to have a couple extra just in case.

Old 02-22-09, 08:02 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
especially when it is one that might be turned on and off seasonally
While I don't like absolutes in this case I will say breakers are not turned off seasonally. In this case far more likely it is the equipment is getting old unless the circuit is slightly under size. As motors get older they can pull more current, especially when starting. If this is a combination air/heat pump the motor may only trip the breaker when the auxiliary heat is on in very cold conditions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: