Sharing conduit

Old 02-20-09, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharing conduit

I have two subs in which one of them will be fed with 4awg Thhn conductors and the other with 6/3 romex. Would sharing these feeds in the same conduit abide by code? Do i even need conduit for indoor runs? Planning on using flexible conduit if indeed required. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 05:33 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No, not normally would you need conduit for indoor runs. Unless it's required by your local codes.

Just to be safe, you may want to check with your local authority.

To get all that in a conduit, you'd probably need a 2".

You'll need to derate the 6/3 to the 60deg chart. For the #4's in conduit, you can use the 75 deg chart.

Old 02-21-09, 02:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
THHN conductors are required to be in a raceway. (conduit) Cables (Romex, AC,BX,MC) do not.

Old 02-21-09, 10:49 PM
I appreciate the replies everyone.

My conduit will be running through Sheetrock.........what fittings would i need to create a water tight seal between conduit and Sheetrock??

In addition, i have a 125amp service, is there (i have balancing in consideration) an NEC code that restricts a sub's amperage as a ratio of the service?

Old 02-21-09, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by JulianBeam View Post

My conduit will be running through Sheetrock.........what fittings would i need to create a water tight seal between conduit and Sheetrock??
It will depending on which type of conduit you will be using.

The common conduits we used are EMT , IMC , Ridge , PVC { electrical conduit not the plumming conduit please }

If you use the EMT you can use the setscrew with proper juction box however you can get them in compression fitting a major gotcha if you going to use in wet location it must be listed as raintight. { the package will tell ya on that part }

For PVC you will need a termail adpator with pvc glue to glue it together.

In addition, i have a 125amp service, is there (i have balancing in consideration) an NEC code that restricts a sub's amperage as a ratio of the service?
it may affect the rating it depending on what you got on the main breaker and did you do the load demand calucations to make sure you are on the safe side?

Keep in your mind with all the subpanel you need to bring in 4 conductors { black , red , white et green } and at the subpanel keep the netural and grounding conductors seperated.

If your subpanel do not have grounding bar you will have to get it many big box store will have this on hand and they are only few euros { bucks }

Merci,Marc

Old 02-21-09, 11:37 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
this is either deja vu or I repsonded to this person on another forum.

hasn't the current codes outlawed NM in conduit except for short protective nipples?

and waterproof between sheetrock and conduit?

Sheetrock absorbs water. You had better stop the water long before it gets to the sheetrock.

you need to caulk the hole in the outer wall around the conduit.

Old 02-22-09, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
it may affect the rating it depending on what you got on the main breaker and did you do the load demand calucations to make sure you are on the safe side?
Yes, the sum of the subs max amp usage is less than the service of 125. So your implication is that as long as the subs are less, then any feed size is allowed?? You have the code for that? Merci Merci

Old 02-22-09, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
this is either deja vu or I repsonded to this person on another forum.
Lol, yea, as an inquirer i post the same question on multiple forums for multiple and faster responses.

Originally Posted by nap View Post
hasn't the current codes outlawed NM in conduit except for short protective nipples?
Protective nipples?? Picture?