Adding pull chain switch to wall light fixture

Old 02-21-09, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding pull chain switch to wall light fixture

I recently prucased a house and the two wall lights in my kitchen do not have a switch to operate them. Currently I have to screw & unscrew the bulbs to operate them. Which leads me to my question.
I tried to install a pull chain switch, (single circuit). It has two black wires and the illustration on the back shows one is for Load and the other for Line. I attached the black Load wire to the hot wire (Black) and the black Line wire to the neutral (White). The circuit breaker would not activate unless I had the switch on. And when I pull the switch off, it trips the circuit breaker. Any suggestions anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-09, 07:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You created a dead short by using the neutral. All a switch does is break the connection of the hot wire, and reconnect it to turn the light on. So one of your switch wires should be attached to the black wire of the light and the other switch wire should be attached to the hot supply wire. The white (neutral) should go directly to the white wire on the light fixture. The term "line" indicates the hot wire incoming to the fixture, and the "load" is the wire going to the "load" or light bulb.

Old 02-21-09, 09:06 PM
THANK YOU CHANDLER!!!!! And thanks for the welcome. I have many other electrical issues with this house so I"m hoping to post here more often.

Old 02-22-09, 05:10 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Go for it. Someone is almost always here. Some work night shifts, some days, some don't do anything! Plenty of good advice, so come on back.

Old 02-22-09, 11:44 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
It seems a little strange to me that wall lights would be on 24 - 7 with no means to turn them off other than unscrewing the bulb. Where oh where is the switch hiding?

Old 03-10-09, 02:52 PM
Bathroom light question...

Hello! We just bought a house that in the master bathroom has a light fixture on the wall above the sink and mirror that you have to unscrew and screw in the bulbs to turn on and off. There is a light in the ceiling of that bathroom that does have a switch on the wall. Is there a way that we can convert that light switch to turn both the above light and the one above the mirror?

Old 03-10-09, 03:40 PM
I think you can purchase light fixtures with a pull chain or switch built-in to the fixture. If you don't like that idea, you'll have to do some fact finding work. Find out how many wires are in outlet boxes that are attached to the light above the sink and the ceiling light. Let us know what you found.

Old 03-29-09, 08:58 PM
The pull chain switch we added to a bathroom wall fixture does the same as happened to landman. There is no white wire. Any suggestons?

Old 03-29-09, 09:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dee Millard View Post
The pull chain switch we added to a bathroom wall fixture does the same as happened to landman. There is no white wire. Any suggestons?
It's not a problem. It is not supposed to have a white wire. In most cases including this one the white wire is a neutral. A neutral is never connected to a switch. The black wire of power in goes to one side of the switch and the black wire of the light goes to the other side of the switch. Also re-read this post above:
Chandler Wrote: ...You created a dead short by using the neutral. All a switch does is break the connection of the hot wire, and reconnect it to turn the light on. So one of your switch wires should be attached to the black wire of the light and the other switch wire should be attached to the hot supply wire. The white (neutral) should go directly to the white wire on the light fixture. The term "line" indicates the hot wire incoming to the fixture, and the "load" is the wire going to the "load" or light bulb.