Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Is it a legal requirement to bury armoured cable in the uk??

Old 02-28-09, 10:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

OK, I have an electrician working at my house next week. He says he is certified ( ie can self certify for building regs etc ).

He is putting power into a workshop at the rear of our garden. He is replacing our house distribution board ( which had the old fuse box ) and putting a separate rcb into the workshop.

He is running armoured cable along the hedge line of our garden.

What concerns me is that he does not feel the need to bury the cable. This concerns me, but should it?

The question is - is it breaking any regulations to not bury it. It is visible, but unlikely to be disturbed. He says it is better for it to be visible. I take the point but is he just being lazy!

Can I get into trouble for any reason?

Am i being ripped off?

I know BS7671 gives depths for burying cables, but does it imply you have to bury it?

Thanks for your response....

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-09, 12:55 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
In the USA armored cable is not rated for outdoor use. Not that knowledgeable of UK wiring but if the armored cable is the same as we use in the USA just using it would be a code violation. There are a couple of European knowledgeable electricians that post here so you might wait for them to confirm but even if the armored cable is rated for outdoor use it could not be run unprotected or unsecured. Laying it on the ground violates both of those.

If the conductors in the armored cable have paper filler that would be another indication it is not for outdoor use.

Old 02-28-09, 07:45 PM
R
Not knowing the codes in the UK I would get a few more quotes. Play dumb with them and let them know that one electrician was going to do it this way but do it after they quote it. If it was in the USA it would be a code problem. Let us know what you come up with.
Jim Beer 4U2

Old 02-28-09, 09:10 PM
F
There are few types of amoured cable that do approved for driect burial in UK area.

However there is new BritshStanadrd verison 17 just came out and there are few running changes on that part I am not well verised with new verison but a bit on BS Reg 16 however I am far more famuair with French standard and North American standards { NEC and CEC }

let back to the main point here what size conductor he wil be plan to run along side of the house ?

Normally it should be minumin of 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable in amoured verison and the amoured if steel or alum it must be bonded as well.

And also if my memory serve me right no ring circuits allowed in the workshop area.

also let get back to the point about the cable running along the side of the building some are listed for outdoor useage but not listed for underground in the earth it will stated on cable itself.

Merci,Marc

Old 03-01-09, 07:04 AM
R
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
There are few types of amoured cable that do approved for driect burial in UK area.

However there is new BritshStanadrd verison 17 just came out and there are few running changes on that part I am not well verised with new verison but a bit on BS Reg 16 however I am far more famuair with French standard and North American standards { NEC and CEC }

let back to the main point here what size conductor he wil be plan to run along side of the house ?

Normally it should be minumin of 2.5mm2 twin and earth cable in amoured verison and the amoured if steel or alum it must be bonded as well.

And also if my memory serve me right no ring circuits allowed in the workshop area.

also let get back to the point about the cable running along the side of the building some are listed for outdoor useage but not listed for underground in the earth it will stated on cable itself.

Merci,Marc
I agree with you but if we read the thread it sounds like the electrician is doing his way and not listening to the customer. It sound like the customer whats to hide it and not have the cable or anything else out in the open. I think he's looking for a way to tell the electrician he doesn't what it this way. Myself I would put it in the ground.
Jim Beer 4U2

Old 03-01-09, 09:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
He is running armoured cable along the hedge line of our garden.

What concerns me is that he does not feel the need to bury the cable.
The question is - is it breaking any regulations to not bury it. It is visible, but unlikely to be disturbed. He says it is better for it to be visible. I take the point but is he just being lazy!
This is the part of the original post that bothered me. Marc seems to read it as "fastened to a wall" but I read it as just laying on the ground under the bushes unattached or protected.

Old 03-01-09, 03:19 PM
F
Originally Posted by rukkus11 View Post
I agree with you but if we read the thread it sounds like the electrician is doing his way and not listening to the customer. It sound like the customer whats to hide it and not have the cable or anything else out in the open. I think he's looking for a way to tell the electrician he doesn't what it this way. Myself I would put it in the ground.
Jim Beer 4U2
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
This is the part of the original post that bothered me. Marc seems to read it as "fastened to a wall" but I read it as just laying on the ground under the bushes unattached or protected.

I can understand the point of view what you are saying here.,

However again the keyword is the amoured cable some are rated for outdoor useage but not listed for direct burial and some are listed for driect burail so it will depending on the type of amour cable itself that will make the diffrence there.

Really for myself I will just used the ridge conduct { either steel or plastic verison } if have to run along the wall otherwise just bury the cable { only if they are listed for driect bural }.

If the customer asked for buried conduit or cable it should be done in first place but keep in your mind it will add the cost due the electrician have to dig up a trench and bury it min of 18 inches or 600 MM deep.

Merci,Marc