Adding switch and wiring ceiling exhaust fan

Old 02-28-09, 11:03 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Adding switch and wiring ceiling exhaust fan

I recently just installed a ceiling exhaust fan in my bathroom and I only have one lightswitch, but I'm going to put a 2 gang box in instead and put two single pole switches in. The box in there currently has two white cables coming into it, the cable has three wires inside white black and a bare ground wire. So there are two places in the back of the box where the cables come in I think one is from the main service and the other is from the light, the two neutrals have been connected together and the two black wires go to the two screws on the switch. The wires I ran from the fan are just hanging there atm.

So what would I have to do as far as wiring goes once I have two switches in the newly installed junction box. I want one switch to operate lights independantly and the other to operate the fan independantly.

Basically it comes down to "how can I get power to the second switch?" Also the wire is NOT stranded is just solid.

http://img.engadget.com/common/image...0000054040.JPG theres a link for what the wire im using looks like.

I sure hope I provided enough info, if not just say so and I will do my best to help you help me =)

Old 03-01-09, 05:56 AM
P
Turn power off. You will need to connect all of the white wires together with a wire nut. White wires, in this case, do not attach to the switches. That done, pig tail the "hot" black wire to each of the switches by connecting two short black wires to the hot black wire. They in turn will each connect to the switches (this gives each switch power). Then connect you light black to its switch and likewise with the fan. Pig tail the grounds together. Turn power on.

Old 03-01-09, 03:31 PM
S
Turns out we are not going to replace the single gang box with a double gang box we are just putting a double switch in the single gang box and tryin to figure out how to wire it now... XD sorry about that. thanks in advance.

here is a pic of the switch we are using
http://www.fdsons.com/images/elect/6346589.jpg

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: