Remove Half-Hot Outlet / Install Ceiling Light

Old 03-04-09, 12:20 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove Half-Hot Outlet / Install Ceiling Light

Greetings all,

I will be tackling a project I am sure I can handle, but just want some clarification and/or ideas on this before I go about it. I've done a fair amount of wiring and electrical work, but never dealt with half-hot outlets.

In this particular bedroom, there is a light switch that switches the top half of an outlet. The bottom half of this outlet and 3 other outlets in the room are always hot. To my knowledge all of the power in this room is on the same circuit.

What I will be doing is installing ceiling lighting, to be controlled by that switch. I no longer want that receptacle to be switched.

I took a quick stroll around the attic where I was able to trace out some of the wiring, but not all. Above the light switch, only one piece of romex enters the wall. Above the half-hot outlet, only one piece of romex enters the wall, and that connects to the first full-hot outlet, where two pieces of romex enter the wall. The other two are daisy chained to this one.

So, my guess is that power enters the room at that switch. A piece of romex is run in-wall to the half-hot outlet, and then romex leaves the wall from the half-hot and continues to the first full-hot. Sound correct? Or could this be backwards? At the "last" full-hot outlet, only one piece of romex enters the wall. Again, this is all my limited view from the attic.

My initial thinking is that I will be disconnecting that in-wall romex from the switch to the half-hot, replacing that outlet with a new one that doesn't have the hot tab broken, and then running a new piece of romex down the wall to the switch that will be connected to the ceiling lighting. Am I on track here?

So, essentially, the power that enters the room will be split between the outlets and the ceiling lighting circuit when I am done. Correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-09, 07:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 37 Posts
If you describe the number and colors of the wires attached to the switch and in the switch box we could get a better idea of how to proceed.