Prep for rough inspection

Old 03-04-09, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Prep for rough inspection

Ok, kitchen wiring is almost done, with lots of help from the forum. Rough inspection is Friday. A few questions:

1) In the basement, is it ok to staple a couple of NM wires (all #12 / #14) to the joists under the same 1/2" staple? Or does each cable need its own staple?

2) Is it ok to use plastic cable ties to tie together 3 or 4 NM cables along the joists to stay more organized? What's the limit on this?

3) For the metal jboxes on the joists, any limit to how far from the top / bottom of the joist they should be mounted?

4) For standard 1/2" knockout NM clamps for the metal jboxes, how many cables per clamp? Is 2 ok?

5) In the kitchen, I've already sealed up a few of the holes where I fished cables up. Should I wait to see what he says, or just open them back up now?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-09, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by demolition_man View Post
1) In the basement, is it ok to staple a couple of NM wires (all #12 / #14) to the joists under the same 1/2" staple? Or does each cable need its own staple?
Most 1/2" are rated for up to 2 cables (either 12/2 0r 14/2 or one of each) But check the package for the listing.

2) Is it ok to use plastic cable ties to tie together 3 or 4 NM cables along the joists to stay more organized? What's the limit on this?
Some inspectors allow use of cable ties as sole support. Some do not. If you are just using them to keep things neat that should be fine.

3) For the metal jboxes on the joists, any limit to how far from the top / bottom of the joist they should be mounted?
No, as long as the box's steel thickness is at least 1/16". I like to keep them all 1 1/4" away for good measure. Remember, those boxes need to be forever accessible.

4) For standard 1/2" knockout NM clamps for the metal jboxes, how many cables per clamp? Is 2 ok?
Again look at the package for a listing. Some allow 2 cables some only 1.

5) In the kitchen, I've already sealed up a few of the holes where I fished cables up. Should I wait to see what he says, or just open them back up now?
If you are meeting him there you could leave them closed and open them if he wants to see. If you not meeting him, then it would be in your best interest to open it so he can see and not make a 2nd trip if he doesn't pass you because of that.

Old 03-06-09, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tolyn. I did some prep based on your suggestions and everything went fine. Didn't have to re-open up the walls. He even praised the nice job I did.

When it's all done I'll post pics of the kitchen!

Old 03-07-09, 05:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 73 Votes on 65 Posts
Nice job. You deserve a Beer 4U2