Wiring ICF basement

Old 03-04-09, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Wiring ICF basement

I am doing some very basic wiring in a newly poured ICF (insulated concrete form) basement, and need some tips on how to install a device box on this type of insulated wall...

- the smallest depth box I could find was 1.5" deep
- the plastic strapping inside the wall to which I assume I would attach the device box to is located at a depth of 1/2"
- drywall thickness of 1/2"

So, 1.5" - 1" leaves the device box sticking out 1/2" from the drywall.

Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-09, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Fur out the walls with 2x4's (or 2x3's) and wire like a normal wall. It will be much easier, quicker, and you will really not be loosing that much space. You could also add some more insulation and up your R value.

If the lost space thing bugs you than use 2x2's. Then install 4x4 steel boxes and 1/2" steel mud rings. You should be able to attach the boxes to the 2x2's or the plastic strips in the form. Also, buy a bunch of nail plates to protect your wires that go through the 2x2's horizontally.

Old 03-04-09, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I posted the same question a couple weeks ago when I first started trying to wire up my ICF basement. Here's the thread that may provide some info for you:

http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...icf-walls.html

Old 03-07-09, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the replies and suggestions!

I'm only doing some minimal wiring in the basement and don't plan on doing any framing as I will be selling the house within the next 6 months.

Having to mount the boxes directly to the concrete isn't what I had in mind...it only makes sense that you should be able to mount the boxes to the plastic straps, so I'm going to continue struggling in that direction for now...