wanting to run 220 to my shed

Old 03-07-09, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wanting to run 220 to my shed

hi i just joined today, i want to run power from my main breaker out to my shed were i have a 110 compressor and a 220 welder i just want to know what i need to do i have ran 110 in my house before but i dont know what to do for this. it is quite far and ive read a few things on hear but im confused as to what it all means. i just want two 110 outlets one for my 1/4 horse power compressor and one for what ever other tool i need. i also need one 220 for my 230 amp stick welder. thanks in advance for the help. and let me know what else you need to know.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-09, 04:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Just so we have terms clear you will be running 120/240 to your shed. I doubt 230a is the input rating for your welder. It is probably the maximum output. We will need to know the input amps. You can probably get by with a 60 amp subpanel and #6 UF cable if the distance is less then 100 feet. You would need a 50 amp breaker in your main panel. You would need to use three conductors plus ground. If you go with conduit and individual wires you can use a 60a breaker if a hundred feet or less. The welder amps are the deciding factor here though.

Old 03-07-09, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Just so we have terms clear you will be running 120/240 to your shed. I doubt 230a is the input rating for your welder. It is probably the maximum output. We will need to know the input amps. You can probably get by with a 60 amp subpanel and #6 UF cable if the distance is less then 100 feet. You would need a 50 amp breaker in your main panel. You would need to use three conductors plus ground. If you go with conduit and individual wires you can use a 60a breaker if a hundred feet or less. The welder amps are the deciding factor here though.
Make sure you also install a ground rod at the shed.
Jim

Last edited by pcboss; 03-07-09 at 06:26 PM. Reason: fixed QUOTE formatting
Old 03-09-09, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by watsonmt View Post
a 220 welder
Please let us know the electrical specs from the welder nameplate and the distance from the main panel to the outbuilding.