Gas fireplace fan shorted out


Old 03-08-09, 08:51 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas fireplace fan shorted out

I was trying to find out where a vibration was coming from in the fireplace and while I was in there with the fan running I moved the wires that connect to the motor and somehow the elec terminals that connect to the motor touched something metal and shorted out, tripping the breaker in the basement.
I reset the breaker but the fan no longer works. I checked the receptacle in the f/p that the fan assembly plugs into and it has power.
The fan assembly consists of a fan/motor assembly, a temp sensor, and a speed control. It plugs into a regular ac outlet.
It is a Majestic fan assembly model FK24.
My question is, what do you think got damaged?
I can replace the entire assembly but it would be cheaper to just replace the damaged component.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

Len in NC
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-09, 09:31 AM
Tolyn Ironhand's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 12,965
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Gas fireplace fans are typically just sitting in the bottom held in place with magnets. Pull it out and inspect the wires and see if you can find the bad spot. Plug something else into the receptacle of the fire place like a lamp and see if it works to make sure the short did not cause a connection to come apart.

I would be surprised if the short caused the fan to burn up. More likely the cord now has a break in the wire and needs to be replaced.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: