doorbell wiring

Old 03-09-09, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
doorbell wiring

i have a new factory built home and i'm connecting the door chimes to the transformer.the wires are pre-run into the basement. i have 2 sets of wires each with one red and one white wire. do i connect the wires(same color) to the transformer? 2 white to one screw, 2 red to the other screw?
thanks
mike

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-09, 01:20 PM
Probably not. Assumptions:

1. One cable runs to the door pushbutton.
2. One cable runs to the chime.
3. You have only one door pushbutton. That is, there is only a doorbell button at the front door, not at the back or side door.

Although you don't need to know which cable goes where, sometimes it helps think about it if you do.

For cable #1, connect the red wire to the transformer secondary, usually 16 volts.

For cable #2, connect the white wire to the other secondary terminal on the transformer.

Now, connect the white from the cable 1 to the red wire from cable 2.

1r > transformer
2w > transformer
1w > 2r

Old 03-09-09, 02:00 PM
forgot

it is a two door system...one in front one on side
sorry

Old 03-09-09, 02:50 PM
You do not have enough wires there to figure out what is on the other end of the cables.

You need to see what wires are present in the chime box. Otherwise you need to find another place where the wires come together.

Old 03-09-09, 02:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
it is a two door system...one in front one on side
In that case one set of wires is probably from the front door button and one from the rear.

Mount a transformer and run one wire from it to the common terminal of the door chime.

Tie the two white wires of the two cables to the other side of the transformer.

Hook one red cable to the chime terminal marked "front". Hook the other red cable to the chime terminal marked back.

Test. If you get a single chime from the front button swap the red wires on the chime.

Old 03-09-09, 03:06 PM
the buttons and chimes are pre-wired, does that matter??

Old 03-09-09, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by mrafferty View Post
the buttons and chimes are pre-wired, does that matter??
If they are pre-wired then you shouldn't have any unconnected wires. Is the transformer connected? What is it connected to?

Old 03-09-09, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Is the transformer connected? What is it connected to?
He said in the first post that he is trying to connect to the transformer.

I'd still say to open up the chime. It may be that they ran two cables in parallel between the chime and the transformer, and only three of the four wires are needed. If that's the case, the trick is finding the right three wires.

I've seen doorbell wiring insulation melted and drywall paper charred by overheating on shorts, before the transformer fried. So, don't assume that this couldn't be a hazard if done wrong. More than likely you can do it with trial and error, but I would never do that when an ohmmeter costs $10 or $20.

Old 03-09-09, 08:35 PM
He said in the first post that he is trying to connect to the transformer.
OOps my mistake. Thanks for the correction.

Old 03-10-09, 04:19 AM
there is three red wires in the chime box, 1 for front 1 for side 1 for trans. the whites are wire tied together.
thanks

Old 03-10-09, 09:28 AM
The problem is you have three pairs of wires coming into the chime, is that correct? If so one pair goes to the side chime button, one pair that goes to the front button and one pair goes to the transformer; Therefore there should be only one pair at the transformer. Where d[d the second pair at the transformer come from? They might have intended to use two chimes, hard to guess.

You have no test equipment so here is what I suggest. At the chime mark each wire and record it's location. Disconnect all wires. Separate the whites. You should have three pair of wires.

At the transformer briefly touch the red and white of one of the two pairs of wires to the transformer. If no spark go ahead and connect it the the transformer.

Now at the chime touch the red and white of one of the three pairs to the common and front door terminal. If it doesn't chime repeat with each of the other pairs, Disconnect the pair at the transformer and repeat the instructions using the second pair of red and white at the transformer,.

Old 03-10-09, 09:43 AM
i do have a multi meter that tests for continuity, but not sure how to connect for reading.i have basic knowledge of electricity but thats where it ends...thanks

Old 03-10-09, 10:16 AM
I wonder if they put both pushbuttons on a loop. Check the pushbuttons to see if each just has one cable feeding it. If not, describe what you see.

Old 03-10-09, 10:39 AM
Originally Posted by mrafferty View Post
i do have a multi meter that tests for continuity, but not sure how to connect for reading.i have basic knowledge of electricity but thats where it ends...thanks
First check each of the cables at the transformer for continuity. If neither shows continuity disconnect the wires at the chime as I previously instructed but this time choose one of the three cables and and twist together. Start with the pair that was connected to the common. Check to see if either of the two wire pairs at the transformer shows continuity. If not try other combinations.

Have someone press the side button while checking each of the other pairs for continuity. If you get continuity on one pair then move to the front pair and check. If we can find one pair for each button and one pair to the transformer then we should be able to hook it up and ignore the fourth mystery pair.

Just an aside are you sure there is no transformer somewhere? Seems odd they installed chimes and buttons but no transformer.

Old 03-10-09, 10:56 AM
Talking thank you

yes they did install a transformer in the upstairs, so the 2 sets of wires just need to be put together. thank you both very much for your time and patients with me.
cheers
mike