Multiple lights on one circuit, how to?

Old 03-10-09, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Multiple lights on one circuit, how to?

Hey guys another newbie question. I am planning on upgrading my fixture's from Knob and tube to romex. But I have never wired multiple light in different rooms.

I am going to split the load 8 total lights, with the lights with 12/2 wire and 20 amp arc fault's. Do you wire the light like receptacles, with power to the first box, then the next box feeds off of the first light and so on. I guess all of the fixture's would be power to the fixture, right?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-09, 10:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you wire the light like receptacles, with power to the first box, then the next box feeds off of the first light and so on. I guess all of the fixture's would be power to the fixture, right?
Yes , you can do it that way and then run a 12-2 or 12-3 to the switch box from the light. Use 12-3 for the switch loop from any light that will have a fan now or later.

Old 03-11-09, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Use 12-3 for the switch loop from any light that will have a fan now or later
Is 12/3 wire just used for the control of the motor and the light? All of my lights are single pole, none are three way. Is the reason 12/3 is run to the switch so you can control the light and the motor at the switch?

All of my ceiling fans now are Knob and Tube UGG. But they are two wire, some are typical pull chain and the others are remote.

I am just curious about the advantages of running 12/3, never ran with that before. Thanks!

Old 03-11-09, 07:41 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Wiring

12/3 allows you to use two switches.