recessed lighting/bathroom fan help

Old 03-11-09, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recessed lighting/bathroom fan help

I will be putting recessed lighting in my kitchen and a fan/light combo in my bathroom. I want to know how I am supposed to leave the recessed lighting for the final, since it will all be covered by drywall with no way to see the hooked-up wiring. Also, the fan/light combo has 3 wires to hook up, however, they arent in a box or anything. Am i Supposed to mount a box somehow in the ceiling even though it won't be accesible? for the rough-in should I just have the wires hanging next to the fan? Any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-09, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
The fan light combo has a compartment to splice your wires inside. Although it is usually quite small. You will need to put up the fan and wire it before the drywall goes up. All fans that I have used the "guts" of the fan comes out and you can put that in a safe place. Just leave the housing with your cable installed and connected.

If you are using remodel cans your wires are fished anyway so the inspector will not have to see them. If you are using rough in cans, you will have to have them all wired for the rough in inspection. After the inspection the inspector will not have to see them again.

Old 03-11-09, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just an observation for a new member. Tolyn Ironhand seems to know quite a bit about electrical construction. Are you an electrician?

Old 03-11-09, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Maybe. ........................