Is there a safe way to run wiring under siding?

Old 03-11-09, 10:06 PM
wgc
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a safe way to run wiring under siding?

Now that it's finally starting to get warmer, I'm starting to look at my outside projects again: one of them is to figure out how to add an outside light to one wall. This is a family room addition with cathedral ceiling and both the walls and ceilling are filled with solid styrofoam. There is no space to fish wiring through. The outside is covered with vinyl siding.

- There already is an outside light just around the corner, that would be ideal to get power from. Is there a reasonable and safe way to do that, short of running ugly conduit on the outside of my house? How about something like AC wiring under the siding; would it fit? be safe and to code? Any other options?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-09, 12:06 AM
If you have the lap style vinyl, I would think that 1/2 inch conduit would fit underneath in the protrusion. I am not one that pays much attention to codes a whole bunch, but I am real positive you cant run plain wire under the siding without protection. I have used the made for inside only decorative extend an outlet kit and sealer(found at menards) ran it up to the eve and across then down to a new photocell light fixture.

Old 03-12-09, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Whatever you do, pay attention to codes. They are there for your protection, so ignoring them could cause a bad situation. With that said, no you can't run the wiring directly under the siding without some sort of protection. If your house is wrapped with OSB under the siding, you can remove a couple of sections of siding in the area you want the wire run, modify the OSB, by cutting a groove in it and laying the conduit in the groove, replacing the siding over the area. I don't think you will be able to get conduit directly under the siding without a protrusion.

Old 03-18-09, 08:30 PM
wgc
I'll check the eaves

Originally Posted by willywhy View Post
I have used the made for inside only decorative extend an outlet kit and sealer(found at menards) ran it up to the eve and across then down to a new photocell light fixture.
I'll have to check if I can get into the eaves to see if that is a possibility. There are eaves, but since the room has a cathedral ceiling, the roof is filled with the same solid insulation the walls are. I'll have to look for a gap within the eaves.